Ecdysterone is a plant extract extracted from the rhaponticum carthamoides. It evolved from Russia. Well, not evolved but that's where it came from. The Russians gave it to their athletes prior to competitions in order to optimize performance while coming off anabolic steroids to beat doping tests. Strangely enough, many Russian athletes performed better in competition while using Ecdysterone than they did in preparation while on anabolic steroids. Sounds good to me!
How does it work?
Ecdysterone works by increasing nitrogen retention and increasing protein synthesis (that is why you should increase your daily intake of protein while using this product. It has been found that protein is a very important if not critical component to the usage of Ecdysterone) at the cellular level while also increasing strength and endurance. Since increased nitrogen retention and resistance training will stimulate muscle growth it is without a doubt, that Ecdysterone does work.
How much do I take and how do I take it?
The recommended dose (according to Bodybuilding.com) is 80-120 mg per day and upwards of 400-600 mg per day. However, people have received amazing results in using as much as 1200 mg per day. That doesn't mean right when you pick up a bottle of this stuff to just start taking 1200 mg a day. Work your way up slowly, as you see fit. You should take your Ecdysterone with high protein meals after you workout, and before you go do bed for best results. Just like any other supplement though you must cycle it. The most popular cycling scheme with it I have heard of is just a basic 8 week cycle.
What Are the side effects?
According to various studies no side effects from using Ecdysterone have been found. Unless you take 4,121 times as much as the recommended dose and I seriously doubt any one of you are dumb enough to do that.
How Much Will I gain?
It has been found that on the average each person taking it will increase lean muscle tissue by 7% and decrease body fat by 10% in only 10 days.
Is that all it does?
Nope, Here is the complete list:
- Increases protein synthesis.
- Improves nearly every bodily function.
- Stimulates protein synthesis in nervous tissue and increases nerve function.
- Increases growth anabolicly in vertebrates including humans.
- Increases total protein and glycogen content in muscles.
- Increases myofibrilar proteins more efficiently than the anabolic steroids.
- Methandrostenolone, the most potent steroid, Dianabol.
- Suppresses hypoglycemia while powerfully stabilizing blood sugar levels.
- Perfect glycemic regulator leading to constant energy and feeling of well-being.
- Stimulates incorporation of glycogen into proteinaceous tissue such as liver and muscle.
- Prevents high blood sugar levels and high insulin levels thereby halting fat production.
- Pushes nutrients into muscle and organ tissue yielding better muscle growth and repair.
- Possesses potent cholesterol-lowering effect.
- Stimulates the phospholipids that are linked to enormous health benefits when stimulated.
- Lowers cholesterol having a potent hepatoprotective action.
- Cell membrane stabilizing properties.
- Anti-arrhythmia stabilizing properties.
- Restorative action on atherosclerosis.
- Analgestic properties and a potent antioxidative effect.
- Powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
- Works against high cortisol levels as an anti-catabolic agent by reducing/eliminating stressors such as inflammation, preventing cortisol from being released.
- Positive effect on the skin improving: keratinization, differentiation and acne.
- Vastly increases athletic performance by increasing work capacity, body-weight, lung capacity, and VO2 max while also increasing exhalation of CO2.
- Increases lean muscle tissue and reduces adipose content.
- Reduces fatigue and apathy, yet increases speed and strength.
- Promotes a positive nitrogen balance and maintains a greater rate of protein synthesis.
To be quite honest with you no, I haven't taken it. Although while doing my research for this article I decided to give it a try in the near future. It seems very promising and even though I have not taken it I still recommend it to anyone looking to increase muscle mass and decrease body fat.