What To Eat At Jason's Deli
Achieving Your Fitness Goals On The Road
Jason's is a seemingly very healthy deli that has many pitfalls lurking in between healthy choices. Luckily Jason's has an extensive menu and fantastic salad bar (complete with a few sources of quality protein).
The best part about this restaurant? You aren't going in blind, they print most if not all of the nutrition information right there on the menu you pick up when you walk in the door. So take a close look at this menu so you can pick out the good from the bad or ugly.
Some of Jason's signature items are the worst:
- The Bird to the Wise no mayo sandwich with 99% fat free turkey contains a whopping 1391 calories and 102 grams of fat (16 oz sandwich). Add mayo and it gets worse.
- The BLT? 800 calories and 49 grams of fat!
- The New York Yankee will be stuffed with 1189 calories and 69 grams of fat (32 of that is artery-clogging saturated fat)
- The Tuna Melt won't help you melt fat away with its 960 calories and 62 grams of fat.
- The California Club will make you cover up in Venice Beach. It contains 826 calories and 57 grams of fat.
- Chicken Caesar Salad - 1399 calories and 99 grams of fat.
- Taco Salad with Southwest Chicken - 1907 calories and 106 grams of fat. Yes, you read that correctly, it contains more calories than some people trying to lose weight should eat in an entire day!
- Taco Salad with Chili (no salsa) - 1972 calories, 111 grams of fat.
Those are just a few of the fattening choices on Jason's menu. Even some of the Fresh Made Salads are sketchy and you can't just standby the word "grilled" and know you are getting something healthy (the Grilled Portobello Wrapini has 47 grams of fat). When you head to Jason's, stick with the salad bar or the choices below or build your own healthy meal:
The Good Or At Least Better:
|Spicy Seafood Gumbo (bowl)||301||16||10||37||4|
|Chicken Noodle Soup (bowl)||215||12||8||24||2|
|Southwest Chicken Chili||269||25||9||28||4|
Jason's seems very healthy but like any restaurant, they can fool even the most conscientious consumer. So go in there armed with the knowledge of what you'd like to eat. And, if you really want something that isn't the best choice at least go in there knowing you need to cut it in half and take the rest home for another meal.
Check Out Jason's Deli's Complete Nutritional Details Here.
About The Author:
Marie Spano is a leading authority on translating the latest nutrition and exercise science research into real life applications. Ms. Spano has also helped professional and Olympic athletes and Fortune 500 executives enhance their health and performance through sound nutrition practices. She is a regular contributor to Bodybuilding.com. For more information see: www.mariespano.com.
|Share This Article: