Steve "Tower" Henneberry, a star on the former "American Gladiators" television program, goes for peak performance in the kitchen by preparing what he calls One-Step High-Protein Meals. One of his all-time favorites is called G.L.O.P. (Get Lots Of Protein). Here is his jealously guarded, almost secret recipe for G.L.O.P.
- 16 oz. fat-free ground turkey breast
- 1 boil-in-bag (Kraft, Success, Uncle Ben's) instant long-grain brown rice packages
- 16 oz. jar picante sauce (mild, medium, or hot)
- 8 oz. low-fat cottage cheese (small curd)
- Non-stick cooking spray (optional)
- Preheat range-top element on medium/medium high for 5 minutes.
- Grease the inside of an unheated large non-stick skillet with a quick application of non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the ground turkey meat into the skillet and fry on medium/medium high, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, until the meat is uniformly golden brown (no longer pink). Don't overcook the meat; it can lose moisture and become rubbery.
- About a minute or so before the meat is finished browning, stir in the picante sauce. Turn the heat to a low setting and let the meat simmer so that it picks up the flavor of the sauce.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, prepare tow boil-in-bag brown rice packages according to range top or microwave instructions. Time the cooking of the rice to coincide with the turkey.
- Remove the skillet from the range top when the meat is finished browning, and scoop the contents into a large Pyrex-type glass bowl. Next add the cooked rice, then the cottage cheese, and stir the ingredients lightly with the wooden spoon (don't over stir).
- While you are waiting for the turkey and rice to finish cooking, make up a Muscle Shake. Pour 16 ounces of cold distilled water (not spring or ionized) into a blender.
Add one packet of MET-Rx original vanilla drink mix (Steve Henneberry's favorite) and two packets of Equal Sweetener. Blend the contents, adding ice cubes if desired for a frosty taste.
Blend for approximately 45 seconds. When finished, pour the muscle shake into an appropriate container and store it in the refrigerator if you are not going to drink it right away.
- If you're going to drink it right away, pour it into a pre-chilled (20 minutes in the freezer) drinking glass.
- Add a sprig of parsley and a slice of orange on the side.
- You can use a wok instead of a skillet to cook the turkey meal.
- You can use ground turkey breast for tacos, burgers, meatloaf, etc.
- You can us a rice steamer rather than the boil-in-bag for cooking brown rice, but of course it will take longer to steam.
If the G.L.O.P. isn't going to be eaten immediately, you can store it in a plastic container with lid in the refrigerator overnight.
G.L.O.P. tastes as good cold as when just cooked, so put a container of it in your cooler and eat it as a meal when you are on the road or more sparingly at an Hourly Protein Pump (Feeding).
For More Great Bodybuilding Recipes Log Go To:
About The Author
Dennis B. Weis is a Ketchikan, Alaska based power-bodybuilder. He is the co-author of 3 critically acclaimed blockbuster books; Mass, Raw Muscle, Anabolic Muscle Mass and the Bodybuilding Brain Stack CD (read about it at: www.dennisbweis.com).
Dennis is also a frequent hard-hitting uncompromising freelance contributing consultant for many of the mainstream bodybuilding and fitness magazines published worldwide.