Quinoa is another nutrient-rich grain packed with protein and antioxidants, making it the perfect base for this rich and savory breakfast. With parmesan cheese, spinach, chives, and a poached egg, this gluten-free breakfast is a hearty and delicious way to start your day. Save time by making a large batch of quinoa ahead of time, and for extra protein add an extra egg or substitute tofu for a vegetarian option.
- 1 cup quinoa
- ¼ cup low-fat parmesan cheese
- 2 cup spinach
- ¼ cup chives
- 1 dash table salt
- 2 whole egg
- Rinse and drain the quinoa and add to two cups of boiling water. Cook until the water is absorbed, and quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. While the quinoa is still warm, stir in the spinach, parmesan, and chives. Season to taste with salt.
- In a shallow saucepan bring a pot of water to a boil. Add just a splash of vinegar, and reduce the heat to a rolling simmer.
- Crack each egg into its own separate bowl. Gently drop the eggs into the water. Adjust the temperature of the pot so that it simmers, and does not come to a full boil. Cook the eggs for 2 minutes, and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Divide the quinoa mixture in half and serve each with poached egg on top.