Dark, dense, fudgy, minty, rich—I could go on forever about these incredibly delicious brownies! Forget everything you know about black bean brownies; these peppermint fudge beauties take decadent to a whole 'nother level. You really can't taste the veggies at all! However, if you can't tolerate beans, try substituting sweet potato or butternut squash. You may just need to extend the baking time by a few minutes.
- 2 scoop chocolate protein powder
- ⅔ cup powdered Stevia
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup egg whites
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 piece candy cane
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drain and rinse black beans thoroughly, then microwave them for 30 seconds (optional, but makes them easier to blend/mash).
- Add black beans to a blender or a food processor, and pulse until smooth. You can also mash them with a fork, but be prepared for quite the arm workout!
- Microwave coconut oil for 30 seconds to soften it, then blend it, egg whites, and extracts with the black beans until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients, then combine wet and dry ingredients until smooth. Stir in half the crushed candy canes, saving half for topping.
- Pour batter into 6x8 or 8x8 baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 15-25 minutes, or until batter has set but inserted knife still comes out a bit dirty. It's important not to overbake because the brownies will set in the fridge.
- Sprinkle with remaining crushed candy canes, allow brownies to cool for 15-20 minutes, then place them in the fridge for a couple of hours so they can get even more fudgy and delicious!