Don't steer clear of big bad ground beef. Choose a lean variety and start experimenting!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp, ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp raw oats
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- 1 cup, sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup, sliced onions
- Combine the beef, chopped onions, salt, pepper, egg whites, garlic, oats, oil and water. Form into bite-sized meatballs and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet; add peppers, mushrooms and onions. Sauté veggies until tender, adding a little more garlic if desired.
- Once tender, remove veggies from pan and set aside.
- In remaining juices and oil, cook meatballs for 3-5 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- Add beef broth and soy sauce and place the removed vegetables back in the pan.
- Continue to cook for 2-5 more minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve immediately; if desired, serve with brown rice.