Natalie Hodson's flavorful spaghetti sauce is way better (and healthier!) than anything store-bought. It's quick and easy, to boot.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 2½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can tomato sauce, canned
- 1 tbsp parsley, dried
- 1 tbsp, ground basil, dried
- 1 tsp, ground black pepper
- 2 lb ground 99% fat-free turkey breast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp, ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- In a large saucepan, sauté olive oil, onions, garlic and mushrooms on medium heat.
- When onions are transparent, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, parsley, basil, oregano and black pepper.
- Set heat to low and allow sauce to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- In a separate skillet, season the ground turkey and cook on medium heat until thoroughly browned. (Drain any fat that may appear in the skillet).
- When turkey is done, add to sauce and stir.
- Serve sauce over whole wheat noodles, Ezekiel toast or spaghetti squash.