These are a classic take on the lemon poppy seed muffins, but remixed with healthy chia seeds! Chia seeds are abundant in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They're also high in fiber and protein to help suppress any grumbling stomachs. And as a final benefit, they draw in moisture and improve the texture of any baked goods you put them in. Many vegan bakers use them as a substitute for egg yolks, and no one is the wiser!
- 80 g Jamie Eason Signature Series Whey Protein Isolate
- ⅔ cup powdered Stevia
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup liquid egg whites
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp black chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together wet ingredients.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients until just combined, then stir in black chia seeds or poppy seeds.
- Line cups of a muffin pan with paper, silicone, or foil liners, and lightly spray insides with cooking spray. Alternately, you can skip the liners and lightly coat the inside of each cup with cooking spray.
- Divide batter between cups, filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before attempting to remove liner. Enjoy with butter if desired.
- Note (on almond flour): If subbing all-purpose or gluten-free baking blend, add 2 tbsp oil.