With a little creativity, you can make low-carb meals epic and satisfying. If you're trying to watch your carbohydrate intake but you crave a juicy hamburger, try this low-carb alternative that uses portobello mushrooms instead of bread. Loading up on raw veggies will provide fiber and pump your body with additional vitamins and minerals. This is a great meal for in-season competitors and models who look for lower-carb options.
- 5 oz crumbled ground chicken
- 2 portabella mushroom caps
- 1 leaf lettuce
- 2 leaf red cabbage
- 4 slice, thin/small tomatoes
- 1 tbsp goat cheese
- ⅛ cup grated carrots
- ½ avocado
- Set oven to 375F.
- Wash portobello mushrooms and remove stem. Dry with a paper towel.
- Place face down in a baking pan and lightly spray with olive oil. Sprinkle a little sea salt and garlic.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Season ground chicken with your choice of seasonings. I recommend sea salt, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and paprika.
- Form a hamburger patty and cook in a skillet on medium heat. Remember to flip the patty so the inside and sides of the patty get completely cooked.
- Remove the mushroom caps from the oven and immediately begin to assemble your burger.
- Place the mushroom cap face up. Add lettuce, cabbage, tomato, chicken burger patty, goat cheese (crumble or spread), avocado, and carrots.
- Top the burger with the other end of the mushroom cap. Smash it down with your hands and eat!