Skip the fat- and sugar-filled frappe and opt for this protein-fueled dark chocolate mocha instead!
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup coffee
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¼ cup(s) casein protein powder
- First, make the coffee as strong as you can handle.
- While your coffee is brewing, heat up the milk until you can stick your finger in it without having to rush to the ER. In other words, warm but not scalding. Be sure not to overheat (or boil) your milk. If you do, the casein will curdle when added.
- Add the cocoa to the milk. Whisk.
- Once the coffee has cooled down a bit, add the cocoa-milk and casein (chocolate flavor) to it.
- Blend it all together so it gets nice, thick, and frothy. Serve and sip!
- Note: If you want to add a bit of decadence, add a dollop of protein whipped cream. It's a great way to up the protein content of your drink while adding a rich creaminess to the whole thing! To make protein whipped cream, just whisk some quark or low-fat ricotta with 1/4 cup of vanilla whey protein powder and 2-3 tablespoons of milk. Place the mixture in a piping bag and pipe it on the hot chocolate. Yum!