Replacing pasta sheets composed of refined white flour with thin slices of sweet potato is what makes this dish a standout. Instead of delving into the nutritional zero, you'll be filling yourself with complex carbs to help power through your workout. Not only are these iron-containing tubers rich in vitamins D, C, and B6, but they're also budget-friendly. It's a win for your wallet and your waistline.
- 1½ lb ground 99% fat-free turkey breast
- 2 cup sweet potato, sliced
- 1 egg whites
- ½ cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 oz fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 2 small whole (2-2/5" dia) tomatoes
- 15 oz low-sodium tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, pureed
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice sweet potato using a mandolin or a sharp knife. Separately chop up tomatoes, onions, and mushrooms.
- Mix cottage cheese with egg white. Set aside.
- Sauté red onions with garlic paste. Then add meat, tomatoes, cilantro, mushrooms, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning.
- Build lasagna. Add sweet potato slices, meat sauce, and cottage cheese. Repeat. Top with mozzarella.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.