One reason people shy away from eating healthy is that they fear that many of their favorite foods will be forever off-limits. In reality, you can often make those recipes healthier, rather than banishing them altogether.
Witness my monster meatloaf recipe. By using extra-lean ground turkey and egg whites, I keep the protein quotient high without adding a bunch of saturated fat.
So eat up, and feel free to share this recipe with your mother and other family members. They too will soon realize that comfort food can also be fitness fare—but still taste great!
Jamie's Monster Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 12-oz package chopped onions and peppers, thawed (or 1 to 1-1/2 cups fresh)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or paste)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp tomato paste (no salt added)
- 3 lbs extra-lean ground turkey (or chicken breast)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup reduced-sugar ketchup (no high-fructose corn syrup)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prep a 9-by-13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray. In a large sauté pan, cook the onions and peppers with salt, pepper and thyme until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Next, add garlic, soy sauce, chicken broth and tomato paste, mixing until heated through. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, egg whites, oats and sautéed mixture (cooled). Mix by hand until all incorporated and press flat into the 9-by-13 prepared Pyrex dish.
- Spread ketchup in an even layer on top of the prepared turkey and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Serving Size (1)
Monster Meatloaf Recipe PDF (24.5 KB)