- Name: John Lilly
- E-mail: None
- Age: 18
- Where: Jupiter, Florida
- Height: 5'9"
- Weight: 167 Lbs
- Years Bodybuilding :4
- Favorite Bodypart: Lats
- Favorite Exercise: Pull-Ups
- Favorite Supplements: ON Nitro Core 24
How Did You Get Started?
A lot of little things led to me lifting. As a kid I had more strength than others my age, and I was proud of proving it. My family purchased a broken Smith Machine from Good Will when I was around 10. I cracked my sternum doing it just trying to prove to myself that I could do the dips. I'm headstrong like that.
My cousin Scottie was really into lifting, and he inspired me at a really young age. I would always try training with him. He was my hero and how he trained inspired me. He still eats great and lifts today and remains an inspiration (and lifting rival)!
When I was a freshman in High School, I tried out for the wrestling team. We went to the weight room a bit. In the spring, I joined the football club BFS (Bigger Faster Stronger) so that I could get stronger and try out for football the next year. I lifted all summer, too, and made the team. That's around when I purchased my first Muslces And Fitness magazine in an airport, and at that point I was hooked. Then I really got into it when I was a sophomore during wrestling. I lifted in the summer again, and took the weight training class my junior and senior year. I've been lifting ever since.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
In weight training, I had an hour to get in a full-body workout, and I only had the class every other day. Now that it's the Summer I can work out every day. I switch up reps, exercise, and time between sets to keep confusing my muscles. Like I learned in BFS, Squats, Deadlifts, and Bench Press are essential.
Now I'm trying to keep my workouts to 1 hour to keep the intensity high. 50 seconds between sets 3 minutes between most exercises. Days 4-6 are repeats of 1-3 but with slight variations of the exercise, I.E. using Barbell instead of Dumbbells.
Day 1 - Chest/Traps/Triceps/Abs:
- Incline Bench Press: 4 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Bent Over Barbell Row: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Inverted Row: 3 sets 12-16 reps
- Skull Crushers: 4 sets 8-10 reps (per part of exercise)
- Dip: 4 sets 10-12 reps
- Crunch: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Hanging Leg Raise: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Russian Twist: 4 sets of 30 reps
- Cardio: Interval training on elliptical machine
Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
Push Ups: 4 sets of 10 slow reps
Day 2 - Shoulders/Lats/Traps/Biceps/Forearms:
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Forward Plate Raise: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Upright Row: 4 sets of 10 reps
- Shrug: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Lat Pulldown: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Row: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Chin Up: 4 sets of 30, 15, 10, and 5 reps
- Preacher Curl: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Alternating Dumbbell Curl: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Forward Wrist Curl: 3 sets of 15-20 reps
- Behind Back Wrist Curl: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Reverse Curl: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
- Cardio: Interval training on treadmill at incline of 3
Day 3 - Quadriceps/Hamstrings/Calves/Neck:
- Squats: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Leg Press: 3 working sets of 8-12 reps
- Calf Raise On Leg Press Machine: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Leg Extension: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Deadlift: 3 working sets of 8-10 reps
- Forward Neck Raise: 3 sets of 25 reps
- Cardio: Interval training on bike
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I eat what my family can afford. Sometimes that means a pizza or something fried. Yea sometimes I complain, but I shouldn't. I make due. Sometime I'll just use my bit of earnings from my job (at an ice-cream/coffee store, ironically) to go buy a bunch of slabs of chicken. Currently I'm taking Universal Nutrition Torrent (recommended by Bodybuilding.com staff [Thanks! Great recommendation it's awesome]) but I'm almost done and then I'll be switching to ON 100% Whey, Nitro Core 24, or 2:1:1 Recovery for pre/post workout.
These days don't always happen, But I try to get as close to this as possible each day.
Meal 1 - 8:00 AM:
- Plain Oats
- Scoop Of ON 100% Whey Protein
- 14 Almonds
- A Banana
- One Small Bagel
- Light Cream Cheese
- 8oz Orange Juice
Meal 2 - 9:00 AM:
Meal 3 - 12:05 PM:
- 2 Scoops Universal Nutrition Torrent
Meal 4 - 12:30 PM:
Meal 5 - 2:00 PM:
Meal 6 - 4:00 PM:
Meal 7 - 6:30 PM:
Meal 8 - 8:00 PM:
Meal 9 - 11:00 PM:
- 1 Scoop MHP Probolic-SR
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
I've only taken creatine twice, a month at a time. Both BSN CellMass and Universal Nutrition Torrent have been awesome. MHP Probolic-SR has been great before bed and I'm waking up hungry every day ready for food and lifting. I don't take fat burners or anything else and never have.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
First off, I don't get nailed in the head like in wrestling and football.
I love bodybuilding because when I exercise, I feel good, mentally and physically. Something must be going on inside my head because if I take a day off, I may not look physically different but when I see myself I think I look like crap. I love it when I'm sore the next day because I know I'll be that much stronger for the next workout. I love that my girlfriend has more and more room on my chest to lie on with each passing chest workout. I love knowing I'm strong and knowing the harder I work and the more focused I am the stronger I will be. I love this sport and never want to stop lifting.What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
Seeing my abs is definitely helpful! I love how I feel and look when I eat great. I have so much energy and power and always get hyped up for a workout. I know that if I keep this up I can make myself better every day.What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
No more fear.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
Become an Optimum Nutrition Athlete! Get big to compete one day!
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Don't worry about these older guys who are jacked as anything. Be happy knowing you are working your hardest where you are right now. And then everything else will fall into place.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
The SuperSite is awesome! I've since tried multiple exercises from it, like the 666 Biceps Workout. The buy 2 get 1 free deals are great and it's how I first purchased 2:1:1 Recovery. BodySpace keeps me incredibly motivated. The Bodybuilding.com staff was really helpful in recommending supplements for me (Torrent). Last, if ever I'm concerned or confused about an ingredient in a supplement, the explanation is right here.