- Name: Jody Westby-Hanalei
- E-mail: None
- Age: 19
- Where: Honolulu, HI
- Height: 5'8.5"
- Weight: 176lbs (contest), 205+lbs (off
- Years Bodybuilding :1
- Favorite Bodypart: Back & Shoulders
- Favorite Exercise: Deadlifts & Incline Dumbbell Press
- Favorite Supplements:
How Did You Get Started?
I originally started doing ab workouts and lifting water-filled milk jugs in my room at about age thirteen in a desperate attempt to impress a girl when we went swimming. It's funny when I look back on it, but if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have gotten more and more interested.
I had always been interested in bodybuilding and was always a big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I remember searching three different Blockbusters as a little kid for Pumping Iron. Anyway, I began my research on nutrition, exercise, and competitive bodybuilding. I entered my first show in April, 2007. I was hooked.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I like to change my exercises every once in a while - for variety. I've also acquired a Dorian Yates-like style of training. It has shown to be the most beneficial for me. I use the Pre-Exhaust, Rest-Pause, Prioritization and the occasional Cheating Principles often to finish my last set, which enables me to reach muscular failure with the least amount of time/reps. I am an advocate for the High Intensity Style of training. Here is an example of my offseason routine:
Monday (Front & Middle Delts, Traps and Triceps):
- Dumbbell Side Laterals - 15*, 12, 10, 8 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Press - 12, 10, 8 reps
- Dumbbell Front Raises - 10, 8 reps
- Cable Side Laterals - 10 reps
- Dumbbell Shrugs - 12, 10 reps
- Lying EZ Bar Triceps Extension (on decline) - 12, 10, 8
- Seated Overhead Dumbbell Extensions - 12, 10 - 8
- Straight bar Cable Triceps Pressdowns - 10, 8
Tuesday (Abs, Cardio):
|"220-AGE" HEART RATE CALCULATOR|
Wednesday (Chest & Biceps):
- Incline Dumbbell Press - 15*, 12, 10, 8
- Hammer Strength Press - 12, 10, 8
- Incline Dumbbell Flyes - 10, 8
- Hammer Strength Advanced Chest Flyes/Cable Flyes - 10
- Low-Pulley Rope Curls** - 12, 10, 8
- Standing EZ-Bar Curls - 12, 10, 8
- Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curls - 10, 8
Thursday (Quads, Hamstrings & Calves):
- Stationary Bike - 5 - 10mins
- Leg Extensions - 20*, 15*, 12, 10
- Squats/Leg Press - 12, 10, 8
- Hack Squats - 10, 8
- Lying Hamstring Curls - 12, 10-8
- Straight Leg Deadlifts - 10, 8
- Seated Calve Raises - 3 x 12
- Standing Calve Raises - 12
Friday (Abs & Cardio):
Saturday (Back & Rear Delts):
- Cable Lat Pulldowns - 15*, 12, 10, 8
- Barbell Rows/ Dumbbell Rows - 12, 10, 8
- Seated Cable Rows - 10, 8
- Straight-Arm Pulldowns - 10, 8
- Low Back Extensions - 10
- Deadlifts - 8*, 8
- Pec Deck - 10, 8
- Bent-Over Lateral Raises - 10
Sunday (Cardio & Rest):
- Cardio - 30mins at 65% of max heart rate
* - Warm-up set
** - I do these to work the Brachialis.
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I love being on stage. Competing is very fun and knowing all the hard work that goes into it is very rewarding. I want to be an IFBB Pro someday, so I work hard every day to reach my goal. I also mix customized routine music (www.reverbnation.com/anabolicaudio) and its fun for me to see my customers use my music. I believe in being creative and entertaining in my routines; it's much more fun to watch from an audience perspective.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
At the moment, I plan to take a year off and focus on gaining some more size. I want to win my next show and then possibly go to Collegiate Nationals and/or the Junior USA's. Eventually, I wish to become an IFBB Pro and compete in the Mr. Olympia! Yeah Buddy!
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Very few things get handed to you in life, so hard work is the only way to get things for certain. That is the most important principle when it comes to bodybuilding.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
I have received a lot of help from my friend and IFBB Pro Andy Haman. My other favorites are: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Shawn Ray, Ronnie Coleman, Kai Greene, Phil Heath, Dexter Jackson, Gustavo Badell, Flex Wheeler, "Roc" Shabazz, Leo Ingram, Ed Corney, Ricky Jackson, Dorian Yates, Kevin Levrone, Dennis James, Dennis Wolf, Hidetada Yamagishi, Victor Martinez, Brandon Curry, Chris Dickerson, Rich Gaspari, Lee Haney, Tom Platz, Frank Zane, Chris Faildo, Kris Dim and Melvin Anthony.