Flaxseed Oil , 90 Softgels
Flax Seed Oil contains the Omega-3 Fatty Acid, alpha linolenic acid, which is necessary for a wide variety of biological processes. Natrol´s Flax Seed Oil is manufactured without the use of chemical hexane solvents. Flax Seed oil is oil gently pressed from flax seed, containing up to 60% Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) Our Flax Seed is cold processed and is 100% vegetable source Omega-3´s. Omega-3 essential fatty acid´s are popular for their ability to support cardiovascular health.*
Flax seed has been used by various civilizations around the world for more than 10,000 years. In modern times, we are rediscovering its nutritional benefits. The oil of the seed is a rich source of Essential Fatty Acids, containing 50-60% ALA. Flax seed also contains other nutritional components including fiber and lignans. Flaxseed oil is prepared commercially in liquid form or in soft gel capsules. The seed is also available whole or milled for use in breads, or for sprinkling on salads and cereals
Essential Fats, or Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) are essential nutrients that the human body can´t produce itself. The only way humans can get these nutrients is through the diet. EFAs are polyunsaturated fats, which are considered "good" fats. EFAs contribute to the healthy functioning of cell membranes, and are also critical for the synthesis of eicosanoids, a family of hormone-like substances that help in cell maintenance on a minute-to-minute basis.* Just like other essential vitamins and minerals, EFAs are necessary for the maintenance of good health.*
What are fatty acids?
Fatty acids are basic building blocks for all lipids. They´re the nutritional components found in dietary fats and oils, and are chemical "chains" consisting of carbon and hydrogen and ending with an acid group. Fatty acids vary in length and degree of saturation, and are generally up to 26 carbons long. The specific chemistry of the fatty acid, including the number of carbons and double bonds, will affect how it functions in the body, including its health benefits.
What are satured fatty acids?
Saturated fatty acids result when all carbons in the chemical chain are "saturated" with hydrogen. This means that the fat molecule does not contain any double bonds. Saturated fats are dense, solid fats that do not melt at room temperature - for example the white fat in beef and lamb. These are the so-called "bad" fats.
What are unsaturated fats?
Unsaturated fats are the "good" forms of fatty acids. Unsaturated fatty acids result when not all carbons in the chemical chain are saturated with hydrogen. This means that the fat molecule contains one or more double bond. The double bonds create "kinks" in the molecule, producing a fat that is fluid at room temperature. Unsaturated fats are known as "good" fats because they help cellular function and support heart health.* There are two types of unsaturated fatty acids:
Monounsaturates are fatty acids that contain one double bond. These fats are fluid at room temperature. For example, oleic acid, which is found in olive and sesame oils. Polyunsaturates are fatty acids that contain more than one double bond. These are the most fluid fats of all and include fats such as corn, soybean, and sunflower oils. Essential Fatty Acid oils also fall into this category. A triglyceride is a grouping of three fatty acids attached together by glycerol. This is the way most fatty acids are stored in the body.
Both Saturated and Unsaturated fats are usually consumed in the form of triglycerides, which consist of three fatty acids bound to a glycerol backbone. The attached fatty acids can be either the same or different. The presence of saturated fatty acids will result in a saturated fat; similarly, the presence of one or more unsaturated fatty acids will result in an unsaturated fat. In the human diet, Triglycerides are by far the most abundant form of dietary lipids, constituting approximately 95% of total fat consumed. The remaining 5% is in the form of phospholipids, free fatty acids (fatty acids not bound to a glycerol backbone), cholesterol, and plant sterols. In addition, triglycerides are the predominant storage form of fat in the body.
Ratings & Reviews
What's in Natrol Flaxseed Oil
Directions For Flaxseed Oil: Take 1 softgel, two to three times daily, with a meal.
Consult your healthcare professional prior to use if you have or suspect a medical condition, or are taking prescription drugs, or are pregnant or lactating.STORE IN A COOL, DRY PLACE. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.