As a scientist, champion natural bodybuilder, raw elite powerlifter, and physique architect, I saw a need for well-formulated supplements that smart lifters could trust. CARBON supplements are tools for those who train hard, eat smart, and care about what they put in their bodies.*
Simply put, Carbon Recover gives you everything you want in a post-workout supplement: an evidence-based formula that will help you recover faster so you can work out harder and build more muscle.* That's it. No fluff, no filler, just results.
DR. LAYNE NORTON, PHD
THE MAN BEHIND
- Scientist, pro natural bodybuilder, raw elite powerlifter, physique coach
- BS in biochemistry
- PhD in nutritional sciences
- Current IPF and USAPL world and national record-holder in squat: 668lb. at 93kg
- USAPL national record-holder in deadlift: 711lb. at 93kg
THE BENEFITS OF
- Supports lean body mass*
- Support recovery from workouts*
- Support muscle protein synthesis and net muscle protein balance to help you build more muscle mass*
- Supports recovery of muscle damage*
- Supports the reduction of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) so you can get back in the gym*
- Support androgen receptor density in muscle cells, making your current levels of anabolic hormones like testosterone more effective*
Carbon Recover doesn't include low-dosed, throwaway ingredients with little research to back up their claims, or seemingly novel ingredients included simply to make the product appear innovative. Each ingredient serves a specific purpose, and each one is fully disclosed on the label.* Nothing is hidden behind a proprietary blend.
Carbon Recover is also formulated to work synergistically with Carbon Prep. While both work well as standalone products, they work even better together due to complementary ingredients and effects.*
THE ELEMENTS OF
Amino Acids (BCAAs)
The BCAAs--leucine, isoleucine, and valine--are unique because they can be metabolized directly within muscle for energy production (ATP), and they can stimulate muscle protein synthesis.1 BCAAs have also been demonstrated to improve recovery by reducing delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMs) and excessive muscle damage.2, 3 The BCAA leucine is primarily responsible for stimulating muscle protein synthesis, but it may be less effective when taken solo because it can deplete plasma levels of isoleucine and valine.4
Citrulline malate is most well-known as a performance enhancer that works by improving fatigue resistance.5, 6 However, it has also been demonstrated to reduce muscle soreness and support muscle protein synthesis.6-10 It may especially be useful for maintaining elevated rates of muscle protein synthesis during a caloric restriction.10 In other words, it can you retain more muscle even while in a cutting phase. While 6g of Citrulline Malate seems to be the dose required to improve performance, the recovery/anabolic properties of Citrulline appear to be achieved at approximately 1/3-1/2 the dose needed for workout performance benefits.*7, 8
L-carnitine L-Tartrate (LCLT) is the form of carnitine typically used in research studies that demonstrate benefits from carnitine supplementation. Carnitine has been suggested to improve workout performance, but it also has recovery benefits.* LCLT decreases delayed onset muscle soreness and also supports androgen receptors in muscle cells.*11, 12 Supporting androgen receptors in muscle cells may mean anabolic hormones like testosterone could work more efficiently, getting you more from your workouts. There is also some evidence that it may support lean body mass in the elderly.*13
Tart Cherry (CherryPure)
Tart cherry helps improve workout recovery and facilitates post-workout strength recovery.*14 Packed with powerful antioxidants, tart cherries contain the highest concentrations of anthocyanins. This means a possible faster recovery from intense exercise.*
CARBON: FOUNDED ON QUALITY AND RESEARCH
When I founded Carbon, my goal was to provide high quality supplements that were clinically dosed with effective ingredients.* I also insisted that they were not ‘over marketed.’ I am not willing to bend the truth to sell more supplements, I simply will not do it. In line with this mission was to ensure that not only were the ingredients in Carbon products properly dosed, but they used manufacturers that could ensure quality and actually back up their ingredients by contributing to clinical research*. Many times manufacturers will use cheaper versions of ingredients that aren’t backed by research in order to increase their profit margins at the expense of effectiveness.
A great example of this is using Carnipure as the source of l-carnitine. Other forms of carnitine are very popular in supplements, but usually that is because they are less expensive to incorporate. L-Carnitine L-Tartrate found in carnipure however is the only form of carnitine demonstrated to support recovery, decrease muscle soreness, supports performance, and increase androgen receptor density in muscle cells*. Is it more expensive than some other forms of Carnitine? Yes. Could we ‘get by’ on some of our claims using other forms of carnitine that were not used in clinical research? Absolutely. Would we feel good about it? Absolutely not. That’s why in every Carbon product you will only find the highest quality, clinically backed ingredients, so that you can be sure that you are getting the most effective, science based, products on the market*.
SORENESS DOES NOT EQUAL GROWTH
While many people believe that muscle damage and soreness are indicators of muscle growth, that isn't necessarily true. Soreness is simply a corollary factor of exercise, not a sign of hypertrophy. For example, if you wanted to get really sore, you could go run 10 miles. Yes, you’d be sore, but do you think that’s actually making you build muscle? Of course not.
Soreness can actually restrict muscle growth by limiting the number of bouts of exercise you can do, decreasing your strength, and hampering your total lifting volume, which is actually the most dominant factor for growth. While it’s not a terrible thing to be sore every now and then, if you are sore too often, it hinders your workouts and means you aren’t adapting well to training.
The ingredients in Carbon Recover are meant to jumpstart your recovery by supporting muscle protein turnover, reducing soreness and damage, supporting strength recovery, and getting you back in the gym even faster to dominate your next session.* Bottom line: Carbon Recover can help you have more effective workouts and build more muscle, but it only works well if you work hard.*
- Norton LE, Layman DK. Leucine regulates translation initiation of protein synthesis in skeletal muscle after exercise. J Nutr. 2006 Feb;136(2):533S-537S.
- Howatson G, Hoad M, Goodall S, Tallent J, Bell PG, French DN. Exercise-induced muscle damage is reduced in resistance-trained males by branched chain amino acids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012 Jul 12;9:20.
- Sharp CP, Pearson DR. Amino acid supplements and recovery from high-intensity resistance training. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Apr;24(4):1125-30.
- Wilson GJ1, Layman DK, Moulton CJ, Norton LE, Anthony TG, Proud CG, Rupassara SI, Garlick PJ. Leucine or carbohydrate supplementation reduces AMPK and eEF2 phosphorylation and extends postprandial muscle protein synthesis in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Dec;301(6):E1236-42
- Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, Lord T, Vanhatalo A, Winyard PG, Jones AM. l-Citrulline supplementation improves O2 uptake kinetics and high-intensity exercise performance in humans. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2015 Aug 15;119(4):385-95
- Pérez-Guisado J, Jakeman PM. Citrulline malate enhances athletic anaerobic performance and relieves muscle soreness. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 May;24(5):1215-22.
- Osowska S, Duchemann T, Walrand S, Paillard A, Boirie Y, Cynober L, Moinard C. Citrulline modulates muscle protein metabolism in old malnourished rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Sep;291(3):E582-6.
- Le Plénier S, Walrand S, Noirt R, Cynober L, Moinard C. Effects of leucine and citrulline versus non-essential amino acids on muscle protein synthesis in fasted rat: a common activation pathway? Amino Acids. 2012 Sep;43(3):1171-8.
- Moinard C, Le Plenier S, Noirez P, Morio B, Bonnefont-Rousselot D, Kharchi C, Ferry A, Neveux N, Cynober L, Raynaud-Simon A. Citrulline Supplementation Induces Changes in Body Composition and Limits Age-Related Metabolic Changes in Healthy Male Rats. J Nutr. 2015 Jul;145(7):1429-37
- Ventura G, Noirez P, Breuillé D, Godin JP, Pinaud S, Cleroux M, Choisy C, Le Plénier S, Bastic V, Neveux N, Cynober L, Moinard C. Effect of citrulline on muscle functions during moderate dietary restriction in healthy adult rats. Amino Acids. 2013 Nov;45(5):1123-31.
- Kraemer WJ, Spiering BA, Volek JS, Ratamess NA, Sharman MJ, Rubin MR, French DN, Silvestre R, Hatfield DL, Van Heest JL, Vingren JL, Judelson DA, Deschenes MR, Maresh CM. Androgenic responses to resistance exercise: effects of feeding and L-carnitine. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Jul;38(7):1288-96.
- Parandak K, Arazi H, Khoshkhahesh F, Nakhostin-Roohi B. The effect of two-week L-carnitine supplementation on exercise -induced oxidative stress and muscle damage. Asian J Sports Med. 2014 Jun;5(2):123-8.
- Pistone G, Marino A, Leotta C, Dell'Arte S, Finocchiaro G, Malaguarnera M. Levocarnitine administratio. Drugs Aging. 2003;20(10):761-7.
- Howatson G, McHugh MP, Hill JA, Brouner J, Jewell AP, van Someren KA, Shave RE, Howatson SA. Influence of tart cherry juice on indices of recovery following marathon running. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2010 Dec;20(6):843-52.
Ratings & Reviews
What's in Carbon by Layne Norton Recover
Directions For Recover: Mix 1 scoop with 10-12 ounces (350 ml) of water and consume during or immediately after training.
Warnings: Check with a qualified healthcare professional before taking this product. Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, under 18 years of age, have any known or suspected medical conditions, and/or if you are taking any prescription or OTC medications. This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or reproductive harm. KEEP OUT OF RE ACH OF CHILDREN.