Here's proof that no-cook snacks can be so much more than just a bowl of yogurt or handful of nuts. Strips of zucchini are a fancy delivery method for ready-to-go smoked fish. Beyond being a top-notch protein provider, smoked swimmers like mackerel are a source of ultra-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. These bundles of great nutrition are also an inspired appetizer for summer backyard parties.
- 1 whole zucchini, sliced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp, ground black pepper
- 2 oz salmon, smoked
- ½ cup red pepper, roasted, thinly sliced
- Chop the ends off the zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler or mandolin slicer to peel the zucchini into long, wide, thin strips.
- In a small bowl, stir together parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and black pepper. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of the parsley mixture on one of the zucchini strips, and place two slices of the fish and two slices of the red pepper at one end.
- Tightly roll up the zucchini strip, and stab a toothpick through the middle to keep the roll together.