This is a great way to satisfy your craving for a delicious, juicy burger without having to worry about the extra carbs or calories you'd get with a regular bun. These burgers are moist and full of flavor. I hope you like them!
- 2 eggplant, peeled (yield from 1-1/4 lb) eggplant
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 lb ground 99% fat-free turkey breast
- 3 egg whites
- 4 tbsp chopped shallots
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- Put eggplants into large bowl and fill with water. Add salt.
- Stir until salt is completely dissolved. Trim ends off eggplant and slice into pieces about 3/4 inch thick.
- Soak eggplant in salt water for at least 20 minutes. They will float, so cover with something heavy to keep the slices of eggplant submerged.
- Remove from salt water and pat dry. Lightly spray or brush with olive oil and place on an oven tray. I find that a tray with slits works best.
- Broil the eggplant 8 inches from heat for 5-7 minutes, or until slightly browned. Flip, lightly oil, and broil for another 5-7 minutes.
- While eggplant cooks, combine turkey, egg whites, flaxseed, bell peppers, shallots, and garlic in a bowl. Mix well.
- Form 7 patties from the meat and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Broil patties about 8 inches from heat until they are slightly brown. Flip over and broil another 5-7 minutes. You can also grill them if you prefer, but I find they hold together better on the cookie sheet.
- Place a patty between two slices of eggplant. Add condiments of your choice, but keep in mind they will add calories not calculated in my total. I like to eat these with some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top for a cheesy taste and some kale for texture.