This complete meal is great for a busy weekday night. It also looks great on the plate, so you can make it for guests. They'll love the flavor; you'll love that you're helping friends hit their fitness goals. Think of it as a brown rice love-fest.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 piece chicken breast, shredded
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp (1 serving) taco seasoning
- ½ cup corn
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup low-sodium black beans
- ½ cup salsa
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ avocado
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Add water to a skillet and bring to a boil.
- Add diced vegetables and taco seasoning and simmer for 5 minutes.
- During last minute, add chicken, black beans, corn and rice.
- Add salsa and heat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Top with shredded cheese and a slice of avocado before serving.