Scrambled eggs and omelets are delicious, but you might be ready for a change of pace. This recipe combines turmeric with a short list of tasty spices, then adds the strong antioxidant content of tomatoes for an incredibly healthy egg dish that works any time of day or night.
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp, ground oregano
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14½ oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 egg
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and green pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes to blend flavors.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add the oregano, turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 1 minute to toast spices.
- Add tomatoes, bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a large spoon, crush the tomatoes in the skillet to desired consistency.
- Crack the eggs into the sauce and then cover skillet to cook the eggs. Simmer until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Spoon the sauce and eggs into shallow bowls and top with cilantro before serving.