A bowl of chicken soup will always comfort the soul, but this version packs extra nutrition and health benefits. Quinoa makes for a healthier alternative to processed noodles, while chicken thighs provide a juicy, flavorful source of protein to feed your muscles. Whip up a bigger batch, and stash individual portions in the freezer.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- ½ tsp table salt
- 1 lb chicken thighs, slice (boneless and skinless)
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and salt, and cook until the onion is softened and darkened, about 6 minutes.
- Add the chicken, mushrooms, celery, and garlic to the pan; cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and chili flakes; heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and quinoa to the pan and bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine vinegar and serve garnished with parsley and freshly ground black pepper.