Seafood—it's what's for dinner. I love this easy-to-make, savory dish. It's comforting, rich in protein, and serves up a hearty dose of carbs to replenish your glycogen stores post-workout.
- 1½ lb chicken breast
- 1½ lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 cup brown rice
- 2 cup chicken bone broth
- ½ whole red onion, diced
- 1 medium whole (2-3/5" dia) tomatoes
- ½ cup snow peas
- 1 lemon yields lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp saffron
- 1 salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley
- Cook rice according to the instructions on the packet and set aside. To save time and space in the kitchen, I use a rice cooker.
- Chop raw chicken breasts and shrimp into small pieces.
- Set a cast-iron skillet on medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp coconut oil. Once it's melted, add red onion and garlic paste. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook until the edges of the onion have browned.
- Toss in raw, chopped chicken breasts and cook until the chicken is 75 percent done. Don't be alarmed if some parts of the chicken are still pink.
- Toss in raw shrimp and stir with wooden spoon or spatula. Cook until the shrimp is about 75 percent cooked.
- Add paprika and a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Stir.
- Add in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Stir and reduce heat to medium.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add saffron. Allow the contents to simmer, and gently stir.
- Allow everything to cook for about three minutes. If you'd like to, add fresh lemon juice.
- Add frozen peas and stir. Allow the paella to simmer for about five minutes, then garnish with freshly chopped parsley.