You know what's great? A protein muffin. Know what's even better? A protein cupcake! The proof is in the frosting. Learn how to make it here.
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup egg whites
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- ¼ cup skim milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup(s) casein protein powder
- 2 scoop(s) casein protein powder
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 5 tbsp skim milk
- Directions for cupcakes: Preheat oven to 360 degrees F (180 C).
- Blend all of the above ingredients together.
- Pour batter into six muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Once done, remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool.
- Directions for frosting: In a bowl, stir together protein powder and yogurt.
- Stir in one tablespoon of milk at a time until you get a frosting-like mixture. It should be creamy and not overly runny. Feel free to add more casein if you want thicker frosting, or more yogurt if you want it creamier.
- When casein mixture is ready, use it to frost your cooled muffins! You can use a knife, or put the frosting in a Ziploc bag, cut off a corner, and squeeze the frosting onto your cupcakes. If you have a piping nozzle, you can use that as well!
- Note: If you want to use whey instead of casein, use 1/4 cup of whey and ditch the milk—you won't need it. Once frosted, store the cupcakes in the fridge. You'll notice as the casein cools, it hardens and creates a creamy shell of deliciousness!