Stuffing has been sadly typecast as a winter holiday side dish. Erroneous! Full of fiber and flavor, this recipe will draw few complaints on your table. You're sure to see those Christmas-morning smiles—in July. Any time your diet needs a complex carb boost, mix this up!
- ½ cup millet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup stalk celery, finely diced
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp sage
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pecans
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the millet according to package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once bubbling, add in the celery, onions, carrots, and minced garlic.
- Continue to cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- From there, add mushrooms and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the cranberries, pecans, and millet, heating over medium heat for 1-2 minutes to allow flavors to blend.