This healthy taco salad recipe is the perfect stress reliever after a long day of work. Prepping bigger batches takes almost no extra time, providing delicious dinners for days to come. Even made days ahead of time, these spicy salads won't get soggy!
- 8 oz chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 2 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 2 whole carrot, shredded
- 1 whole diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- 4 cup baby spinach
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup salsa
- ½ cup cilantro
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp, whole cumin seed
- salt to taste
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken breast until slightly browned and no longer pink on the inside. Set aside in a small bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil into the pan and heat at medium-high heat. Cook the carrots until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add in the pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook until soft.
- While the veggies cook, place the cumin seeds in a small, dry pan over medium-high heat and toast them, stirring frequently, until golden brown and fragrant, about two minutes. Transfer them to a cutting board and crush. I use the bottom of a glass, which works really well.
- Add the crushed seeds into the pan with the veggies and season with salt. Mix well, and turn off the heat.
- Scoop avocado into a small food processor, add the lime juice, and blend until smooth and creamy. You can also just mash them together in a bowl.
- Assembly Instructions: Place 1/2 cup of salsa in the bottom of each jar, spreading evenly. Gently spread the avocado/lime mixture on top. Then, add in the cumin and roasted veggies, followed by the chicken. You may need to lightly press everything in to get it all to fit.
- After the chicken, add the chopped tomatoes, and then the cucumbers. Finish off by dividing the cilantro and then as much spinach as you can stuff in there!
- Seal and refrigerate until ready to devour.