In your grandmother's kitchen, haystack cookies are probably a staple. Today, I'm going to give you a healthier option so you can enjoy this classic favorite with an extra protein bonus!
- 1 cup coconut, flaked
- 1 cup powdered Stevia
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup almonds, slivered
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray 2 large cookie sheets with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Toast the coconut in a dry saute pan over medium heat, stirring often.
- The finished product should look lightly brown with half of the coconut still white.
- Transfer the toasted coconut to a large bowl.
- Next, lightly toast the sliced almonds over medium/low heat. The almonds should be toasted just enough to enhance the flavor, but not add much color.
- While the almonds toast, add the sweetener, protein powder, and salt to the coconut and stir until evenly distributed.
- Remove the almonds from the heat to let cool. Zest lemons.
- Stir in almonds, lemon zest, and finally egg whites. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.