Being from Texas, nothing makes me look forward to Thanksgiving more than sweet potato casserole! Sweet potatoes are one of my staples throughout a normal week, but I never tire of them. Sweet potatoes are a great complex carb source and provide fuel for workouts.
- 3 whole sweet potato
- 1 whole egg
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Set oven to 350 F.
- Place the pecans on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 4-5 minutes. Immediately remove from the oven so not to burn.
- To save time peeling potatoes, steam sweet potatoes until they soft. When they are finished, let them cool a bit and then easily remove the skin and strain the sweet potatoes.
- In a bowl, begin to mash the sweet potatoes with a masher, fork or hand blender.
- Add egg, almond milk, coconut oil, 1 tbsp honey, cinnamon, vanilla extract and half the pecans. Mix with a hand blender until smooth. For best results, beat the egg before adding to the sweet potato.
- Pour the mixture in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining pecans on top and then drizzle the rest of the honey over the pecans.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.