The next time you find yourself with a bunch of green bananas, don’t wait for them all to ripen. Instead, make them the backbone of this stir-fry, which will put some spark into your weeknight dinner routine.
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1½ lb chicken thighs, slice (boneless and skinless)
- 1 red onion, diced
- ½ tsp table salt
- 2 large (8" to 8-7/8" long) banana
- 1 large (2-1/4 per pound, approx 3-3/4" long, 3" dia.) red bell pepper
- 3 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cup brown rice
- ⅓ cup cashews, crushed
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- In a bowl, whisk together coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, cornstarch, sugar, curry powder, and cayenne.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat pan. Place chicken in pan and stir-fry until browned, about 4 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and salt to pan and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add banana and bell pepper to pan and cook for 1 more minute, stirring often. After a minute, add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute, stirring often.
- Return chicken to pan. Add coconut sauce and heat until thickened.
- Serve chicken banana stir-fry over rice. Sprinkle on cashews and cilantro.