Like it's cousin the granola bar, trail mix has gotten a bad rap lately for being a sugary snack masquerading as health food. This recipe sets the record straight and repairs those macros by introducing Oatmeal Cookie whey into the mix--literally! Dried cranberries and golden raisins add fiber and antioxidants, while pepitas, cashews, and walnuts provide magnesium and essential fatty acids. You can stick to this combination or use any assortment of dried fruits and nuts you prefer to create a high-protein mix that's perfect for a hike, a road trip, or a healthy snack anytime you're on the go.
- 3 cup (1 nlea serving) plain cheerios
- ½ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup, packed golden raisins
- ¼ cup raw pepitas
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup natural almond butter
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance butter
- 1 scoop Signature Oatmeal Cookie Whey Protein Powder
- Mix Cheerios, cashews, cranberries, raisins, pepitas, and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, add honey, almond butter, and buttery spread. Microwave in 20-second intervals, stirring between, until mixture is melted and smooth. Stir in whey protein.
- Pour honey mixture over Cheerio mixture and mix with hands to combine. Spread onto a cookie sheet and place in refrigerator to cool for at least 1 hour before serving.