Many people struggle to eat enough vegetables, so why not use oatmeal to sneak in a little more? Shredded carrot adds earthy sweetness and beta-carotene, which your body converts into immune-boosting vitamin A. A Journal of Nutrition study found that higher consumption of beta-carotene helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
Steel-Cut Oats Foundation Ingredients
- ¼ cup steel-cut oats
- ⅝ cup water
- 1 pinch salt
Carrots and Walnuts Topping Ingredients
- ½ cup milk (2% fat)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Place steel-cut oats, a pinch of salt, and water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a slight simmer, turn off the heat, and let oats soak covered overnight.
- In the morning, heat prepared oats with milk, carrot, raisins, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Top oatmeal with chopped walnuts and coconut flakes. Finish it off with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.