Every rice dish starts with a hot pan. If the pan is not hot, we can't toast the rice. Toasting the rice is what opens the kernel up and brings flavor. Not in the mood for sausage? Make this dish your own with chorizo, flank steak, or salmon instead. Don't love black-eyed peas? Replace with your bean of choice. Once you add the orange juice to layer flavor and cut fat, you'll smell the delight of a finished product.
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 oz black-eyed peas
- 1 link 3 oz italian sweet sausage
- 1 whole orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 tbsp scallions, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the heat up. Add grapeseed oil to the pan and allow to heat.
- Dice onion and place in pan to caramelize.
- Add the sausage and sauté with the onion. Add black-eyed peas.
- Add cooked brown rice to the pan. Mix.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Squeeze in the juice of an orange.
- Garnish with scallions.