If your diet plan allows a higher carb intake but you don't want the gluten that comes with a normal burger bun, a black bean burger is a great alternative. This burger tastes great over a bowl of rice and diced vegetables and topped with salsa or melted cheese—or both! The black beans provide a nice blend of protein, complex carbohydrates, and dietary fiber, giving you plenty of nutrients and energy while keeping you lean and ready for your next adventure.
- 1 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ¼ cup raw oats
- ¼ cup, pureed avocado
- In a bowl, mash the beans to break apart.
- Blend the red pepper, onion, and garlic in a food processor until tiny chunks are formed. Stir this into the bean mixture.
- Next, add in the egg, spices, and avocado. Stir together well, then mix in the oats.
- Form into four large patties. Place on a preheated grill, brushed with a little olive oil, then grill for about 8 minutes per side.
- Serve with a little added avocado on top, if desired.