This riff on hummus will trigger a sweet and savory tsunami in your mouth. Use it as a dip for your favorite veggies, or slather it as a spread on your favorite whole-grain cracker, pita bread, or sandwich roll. You can also thin some of the beet hummus with olive oil and vinegar to use as a salad dressing.
- 2 beets, cut into cubes
- 1 can drained chickpeas, canned
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tsp honey
- ½ lemon yields lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp table salt
- Place the beets in a microwave-safe dish, add 1 tablespoon water, cover the dish with a lid or a paper towel, and microwave the beets on high for 4 minutes. Stir, and continue microwaving until the beets are fork tender, about 4-5 minutes more.
- Before draining the chickpeas, reserve 2 tablespoons of the canning liquid. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- Add the cooked beets, chickpeas, reserved canning liquid, and remaining ingredients to a food processor. Purée until smooth.