Rather than having a high fat mayonnaise based salad, try a bean based salad instead. This is particularly great for the vegetarians out there as it will provide you with protein and fibre at the same time. While this particular recipe is slightly higher in sugar due to the sauce, you can easily reduce that by using one of the low-sugar alternatives to ketchup and barbeque sauce out there.
- 1 can barbecue beans
- 1 14 oz can dark kidney beans
- 1 cup, chunks pineapple
- 1 small onions
- 1 can pork style beans
- ½ cup low-sugar barbecue sauce
- 8 tbsp low-sugar ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- In a saucepan, cook onion in a small amount of chicken broth or water.
- Mix the ingredients in the sauce together in a separate bowl and then add to saucepan.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine all forms of beans and pineapple.
- Once sauce has heated, pour over beans and pineapple.
- Bake in the over for 1 hour, removing the cover for the last half an hour.