Name: Nathan Reinbold
Weight: 300 lbs
Body Fat: Over 30%
Weight: 197 lbs
Body Fat: 4.5%
My transformation took me about a year and a half to step on stage for my first bodybuilding contest. I placed third in my weight class.
Why I Got Started
I got started because I was sick and tired of being fat. My whole life I have been a big kid, never skinny. I wanted this so bad for myself and for my son who was not born at the time; I didn't want him to grow up with a fat dad. So I decided to get in to shape instead of being a shape. I just wanted that self gratitude and accomplishment from being in a show.
How I Did It
I started in Feb. of '06 my training and dieting began. I went to a local show in July of '06 and that put some fire back in me. I decided to compete in a natural show in June of '07. I was still dieting and going to the gym 5 days per week, cardio was 4-to-5 times at 30 minutes at the most.
I hired a nutritionist in Dec. of '06 - I was at 239 pounds at 10% bf and that is when the fun began. I was eating 5 meals per day. My training was pretty intense all my training was heavy and intense.
A Sample Week Diet
- Meal 1: consisted of egg whites with 1/2 of grapefruit in the morning.
- Meal 2: 4 scoops of EAS protein, 1 apple, and 1 tablespoon of flax.
- Meal 3: 12 ounces of lean beef usually 90/10, 1 cup of green veggies.
- Meal 4: repeat meal 2.
- Meal 5: 12 ounces of chicken, 1 cup of green veggies or 1 cup 1/2 of salad.
Every third day I would carb up meals 1,3,5. I would go as follows:
- Meal 1: 3/4 cup of oatmeal along with 12 egg whites
- Meal 3: 12 ounces of chicken, 3/4 cup of brown rice, 1/2 cup of green veggies
- Meal 5: 12 ounces of white fish, 6 ounce sweet potato, and 1/2 cup of green veggies
That was pretty much up 'till contest.
Sample Week Of Training
- Incline barbell: 5 sets at 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell incline press: 5 sets at 10 reps
- Some kind of isolation for 5 sets at 12 reps
- Squat: 5 sets at 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell straight leg deadlifts: 5 sets at 10
- Supersets of leg extension and leg curls
- Barbell press: 5 sets at 6-8 reps
- Dumbbell shoulder press: 5 sets at 10 reps
- Dumbbell laterals or cable lateral: 5 sets of 12 reps
- Wide grip chins: 5 sets of 8-10 reps
- Deadlifts: 5 sets of 6 reps
- Dumbbell rows: 5 sets of 10 reps
- Finished off with pull downs 5 sets of 12 reps
Barbell curls: 5 sets at 8-10 reps
Incline dumbbell curls: 5 sets at 10 reps
Finished with isolation move for 5 sets of 12 reps
Close grip or weighted dips: 5 sets at 6-8 reps
Dumbbell extension: 5 sets at 10 reps
Triceps press down
Suggestions For Others
My suggestion to others is don't let negative people bring you down. I had some family members tell me I couldn't do it ... guess what I did? I may have not been the best up on stage but I was still up there giving it my all and did that in the gym as well - gave it my all every day.
Some words to live by and laugh about: be in shape, not a shape. Bodybuilding is a lifestyle and a way of life. I love it! Thank you for reading my story.