| Article Summary:
Hypothyroidism literally means underactive thyroid, the gland located in the front of your neck that produces certain hormones that affect your health. Hypothyroidism is characterized by a sluggish metabolism.
Click To Enlarge.
The Gland Is Located In The Front Of Your Neck And
Produces Certain Hormones That Affect Your Health.
What Is Hypothyroidism?
The two main hormones produced by the thyroid gland are thyroxine (T-4) and triiodothyronine (T-3). Both T4 and T3 work together to help control your body temperature, heart rate, calcium in your blood and how your body uses fats and carbohydrates. Though T4 and T3 are produced by the thyroid gland, their release is controlled by the pituitary gland and hypothalamus.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism include:
Women over the age of 50 are more likely to have hypothyroidism though many others may have it and not even notice the initial signs and symptoms. There are a number of potential causes of hypothyroidism. Left untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to a number of health problems including obesity, joint pain and infertility.
How is it diagnosed? Physicians will listen to your symptoms, examine you and take a blood test that measures for TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and possibly thyroxine. Low thyroxine and high TSH are indicative of an underactive thyroid.
|BODYBUILDING.COM FORUM: HYPOTHYROIDISM|
| Started By:
Treatment for hypothyroidism requires the daily use of the synthetic thyroid hormone levothyroxine (Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Unithroid). If you have this disease, it is critical to use this medication to restore adequate hormone levels. And, the medicine kicks in within a week or two and you'll notice a remarkable difference in how you feel.
Though you may take this medicine for life, your dosage level may need to be adjusted and therefore, getting a TSH test at least yearly is typically recommended.
How Bodybuilding Can Help You Manage Symptoms Of Hypothyroidism:
Though hypothyroidism is treated with medicine, bodybuilding can also help you manage some of your symptoms.
Bodybuilding Helps You Lose Weight:
- Weight gain is a hallmark of hypothyroidism. Though medication may help you get your weight back to a normal level, bodybuilding can help you get there faster.
- Resistance training builds
- (i.e. calorie burning) muscle tissue and a combination of
- will help you shed body fat. It's important to alter your training regimen frequently so check the
- on this site for different exercises you can do to target certain parts of your body.
Bodybuilding Gives You Energy:
- When you are tired the last thing you may want to do is exercise. But, exercising and
- are the two things you can do for yourself for maximum energy.
Cut out the refined carbohydrates and sugar-laden foods (except within proximity to lifting) and stick with a diet full of produce, lean meat/poultry, fatty fish, low-fat dairy and whole grains and keep exercising and you'll notice that your energy levels will soar.
|What Is The Best Workout To Increase Energy?
If you're feeling lethargic and think you are affected by low energy, then a training routine may be just what you need. Here are great effective workouts and ideas for increasing energy levels!
[ Check Out The Workout Of The Week Here ]
Bodybuilding Makes You Feel Confident:
- Fatigue, achy joints, weight gain and
- all add up and may make you want to crawl into your house and hide. But, bodybuilding will make you feel better about yourself.
- of your workouts and weight you are lifting will give you a "can do" attitude.
Additional Tips To Help You Manage Hypothyroidism:
- Make sure your physician knows all
- and drugs you are taking. Certain medications, supplements and foods may interfere with your body's ability to absorb levothyroxine.
See your physician regularly and pay close attention to how you feel.
About The Author:
Marie Spano is a leading authority on translating the latest nutrition and exercise science research into real life applications. Ms. Spano has also helped Olympic athletes, NFL-bound athletes and Fortune 500 executives enhance their health and performance through sound nutrition practices. She is a regular contributor to bodybuilding.com. For more information see: www.mariespano.com
- Mayo Clinic. Hypothyroidism
|Check Out Marie Spano's BodySpace|