Weight: 80 lbs
Weight: 100 lbs
Why I Got Started
I knew I needed to make some changes in my life. I was sick and tired of fighting thoughts of food and body image and knew I needed to make some changes.
I was having a hard time lifting my daughter and carrying her around and I wanted to gain some strength for her. Only I had no clue what changes would be in store for me, I couldn't have imagined at the time.
How I Did It
I started sort of by accident. I had an old set of 5-pound dumbells and pulled them out of the closet. I did some exercises from a pullout section of a magazine, then quickly became hooked.
It didn't take long to progress from 5-pound dumbells to weights that were much heavier. And now this has become a passion of mine and cannot imagine not doing it. I now strength train 3 times per week (full body), while doing cardio most days out of the week, usually walking or kickboxing.
Right before bed I'll also have plain rice cakes with peanut butter or a banana with peanut butter, or I'll have cheese and grapes
I actually sometimes do Cathe Friedrich videos like Supersets, Push/Pull and Pyramid workouts, but when I'm not doing those an example of what I would do is as follows:
- Squats: 100 lbs, 12 reps, 3 sets (plus some low end reps)
- Deadlifts: 100 lbs, 12 reps, 3 sets
- Sumo Squats: 80 lbs, 12 reps, 3 sets
- Lunges: 40 lbs, 12 reps each leg, 2-3 sets
- Chest press: 40 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
- Chest flyes: 40 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
- Overhead press: 20 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
- Tricep Extension: 20 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
- Dips: 12 reps
- Bicep curls: 20 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
- Hammer curls: 20 lbs, 12 reps, 2 sets
I do various isolation type exercises in my workouts, but that is highly variable depending on day. I always like to fit in compound movements though and my workouts usually are around 2 hours long, 3 times per week.
Suggestions For Others
Never give up on your goals and dreams. It's never too late and having an active lifestyle along with some muscle feels amazing.