We all go out many times throughout the week and spend too much money on things such as fattening breakfast biscuits, lunch sandwiches, high carb snacks, so called fat-free snack foods, and small dinner plates that do nothing but sit heavy on our stomachs and then go into our fat storages. If you want to know some healthy eating out diet tips, then this is the article for you!
Eating Breakfasts Out
- Go for the higher protein food such as eggs, bacon, sausage and ham. Soak up the extra grease with a paper towel or napkin.
- If you need some carbs go for a slice or two of whole grain toast.
- If you have only biscuits to choose from eat half the biscuit and get maybe some egg and cheese on it.
- Some buffets have a healthy cereal and fat free milk.
- Most buffets have fruit. Choose from the apples, pears, grapefruits, strawberries, and blueberries because they are lower in sugar.
- Avoid fruit juices.
- Use only a little bit of real sugar in your coffee and if you have to, use a very little bit of creamer.
- Many nice restaurants have cottage cheese on the menu for breakfast also. You can add some blueberries to the cottage cheese for some flavor.
Eating Lunches & Suppers Out
- Good ways to avoid sugar filled drinks is to get water and or unsweetened tea.
- Order your chicken, tuna, or other lean meat cooked without salt and have it not cooked in butter.
- When ordering vegetables out, a good rule of thumb is the greener the better.
- A great healthy desert would be a sugar free sorbet or a sugar free ice cream.
- Healthy appetizers when out to dinner could be shrimp cocktail without crackers, stuffed mushrooms, or a few broiled or baked chicken wings with a little hot sauce.
- Make a grilled chicken sandwich healthy by ordering it without mayo. Instead use a mustard of some sort.
- If you have to have a hamburger, then eat it without half the bread and load it with lettuce, tomato, and mustard and no mayo.
- Instead of French fries some restaurants offer veggie sticks of a lightly baked or fried vegetable assortment.
- Keep your portions under control when you are out to eat. Try to never eat until full, only satisfied.
- If you can not turn down a very fattening meal when you are over at a friends house, then just eat a little and do a few more minutes of cardio that evening or the next day.
- When out to eat, usually the more expensive the steak the less fat it contains.
- Good out to eat meats would be chicken, fish, lean red meat, turkey, duck, venison, lean pork chops, and quail.
- Watch out for those pasta plates that have very little protein, but has fattening sauce and full of carbs.
- Another idea for dessert could be a cup of coffee with a small scoop of ice cream as your creamer.
- If you have to have alcohol at every or any meal, then go for the low carb beers or a mixed drink with a diet soda or sugar free juice such as a sugar free crystal light.
- Drink a lot of water before your meals to make you fuller and less likely to eat too much.
- Split a meal such as grilled chicken fajitas with your spouse or friend so you guys will not eat a full portion yourselves.
- If you are at a cookout look for the meats and veggies and maybe some beans to eat instead of the chips and dips.
- If you are out to eat at a Mexican restaurant ask for corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas because the corn would be less likely to spike your insulin levels and cause you to store more fat.
- When you order a salad, go for the vinaigrette dressings or your own oil and vinegar dressing.
- If you cannot avoid a fattening dressing, then get it on the side and dip your fork lightly in the dressing to eat with each bite.
- Stop smoking and sit in the no smoking section.
- If you have not eaten all day and you go out for a meal you will be more likely to overeat because you are too hungry to begin with.
- Avoid fried foods whenever possible! Your arteries will thank you!
- Avoid extra calories such as fattening and creamy sauces on meats or veggies or pastas. This will make you terribly full and the richness usually means fattening.
- Some studies have show that you are less likely to overeat in a restaurant painted light blue.
- A fried vegetable plate is not considered healthy, but a steamed veggie plate is!
On The Road Healthy Foods & Snacks
- If you feel the need to get a milkshake on the road, then go for the sugar free kind or low fat or fat free milk type.
- If you are on the road and stop by a gas station for a snack, go for the beef jerky because of the lower carbs and some bottled water.
- About fruit juices: stay away from them because they are filled with excess sugar, calories and sodium.
- Avoid the greasy burgers and opt for a grilled chicken sandwich with no special sauces.
- Stay away from the chips at a gas station and choose some lightly salted almonds or some low fat pretzels.
About The Author
David Gluhareff, CFT, lost over one hundred pounds from 1995-96 and became a Certified Fitness Trainer with the International Sports Sciences Association. David then built a fifty thousand dollar a year business, in a small town in Virginia, by the time he was twenty five years old. To contact David Gluhareff please go to www.trainwithdave.com.