Bill Phillips Back To Fit Recipes: Mom's Chicken Enchiladas
Warm your heart and feed your body with this comforting family favorite
When I was growing up in Golden, Colorado, my mom would make dinner for my brother and sister and me just about every night. One meal she loved to make—and I loved to eat—was chicken enchiladas. By coincidence (or design), this meal fits nicely into this program! It is flavorful, nutritious and super satisfying!
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 4 portions (1 lb) chicken breast
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 3 cans (10 oz each) green enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 can (2 oz) ripe olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place chicken breasts in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
- Shred cooked chicken by pulling apart with two forks; set aside.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add green onion, cilantro and jalapeño, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add shredded chicken and one can of enchilada sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the two remaining cans of enchilada sauce in a medium bowl and microwave until warm, about 2 minutes. Dip each tortilla in the heated sauce and fill with about 1/8 of the chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour remaining heated sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Divide lettuce onto four plates and place a portion of enchiladas on top. Top with a spoonful of salsa, tomatoes, olives, and a dollop of sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: Recipe makes 4 servings
Back To Fit: Mom's Chicken Enchiladas PDF (63 KB)