FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - February 2006
COLUMBUS, OH - The Arnold Fitness EXPO offers a spectacular variety of sports and a chance to roam the exhibit hall filled with merchandise such as fitness related clothing, supplements, and exercise equipment. Main stage demonstrations will give audiences a taste of the high caliber competitions available throughout the weekend.
The Expo - Events & Shuttles:
The 2006 EXPO, March 3-5 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, dominates attendance among 30 events at the world's largest fitness celebration, the Arnold Sports Festival. Crowds of athletes, spectators and exhibitors are expected to be well over 120,000.
To accommodate the large attendance, EXPO aisles have been widened and some events included in the EXPO ticket will take place in the nearby Nationwide Arena and Veterans Memorial. Frequent shuttles will move attendees among the three venues.
"The long list of crowd-pleasing, world-class events is exciting and diverse," said Arnold Sports Festival Co-Producer Jim Lorimer. "Our intent is to provide a combination of sports and quality entertainment with no equal."
Among the annual EXPO highlights are personal appearances by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and star athletes. The EXPO features 650 exhibitor booths for professionals and fans who want the latest in fitness goods. Exhibit hall stage entertainment includes sports demonstrations and some final competitions from among the many competitive events.
New Events & Focus:
Competitors mirror a strong youth and family focus. A large percentage of the 15,000 athletes are college age or younger. New to this year's EXPO are figure and speed skating, hockey skills, volleyball, boxing and wrestling. National and international Olympian contenders will make appearances or compete in several of the sports.
The EXPO's other offerings include:
- Prejudging for the Ms. International, Fitness International, and Figure International Championship titles at noon Friday on the Fitness EXPO stage.
- The Arnold Classic Armwrestling Challenge takes place Friday and Saturday.
- The Fencing Classic features three competitions in foil, epee and sabre for children and adults ages 5 to 65. U.S. Olympians and world champions also will compete.
- The Table Tennis Challenge features matches with the top competitors in the sport, including members of the U.S. Olympic table tennis team.
- 4,000 martial arts competitors face off on Saturday and Sunday in the Martial Arts Festival.
- 3,500 female and male gymnasts from throughout the U.S. make the Gymnastics Challenge the largest mixed competition in the nation (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- The World Record Bench Press Challenge at noon Saturday.
- Arnold Strongest Man Contest on Friday and Saturday on the EXPO stage.
- World Powerlifting Organization World Championship on Friday and Saturday.
- Olympic Weightlifting (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- Cheerleading and Dance Nationals (Friday, Saturday and Sunday).
- 5K Pump and Run (Sunday).
- Arnold Squat Challenge; male and female strength athletes will attempt world record lifts for cash prizes Sunday, March 5, 10am-Noon EXPO stage.
Top performers in several youth-oriented sports will be awarded $1,000 scholarships from the Rotary Club of Columbus.
Another popular EXPO event is the Fitness Fashion Show that will be Sunday, March 5 beginning at 12:30 pm on the Main Stage with 100 models presenting the latest in fitness and sport specific attire. Specialty clothing manufacturers use models and fitness stars to show off their unique outfits.
Hours & Ticket Information:
EXPO hours are 11am to 6pm Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday, and 10am to 4pm Sunday. The all-inclusive $10 EXPO ticket (accompanied children 10 and under are free) and may purchased at the door or through Ticketmaster 614-431-3600. No strollers are permitted.
Separate tickets are required for bodybuilding events, Friday Night Fights, and the Strength Training Summit, a three-day seminar on strength conditioning for professionals or students.
Arnold Sports Festival National Sponsors: GNC, Road To The Pros 2006, amino VITAL, EAS, Fizogen, Gaspari Nutrition, Gold's Gym, Jan Tana, Kingston, MET-Rx, MuscleTech, NetJets, Pinnacle, Star Trac, Sunrider, Twinlab, Ultimate Nutrition, VPX, World Gym.
Arnold Fitness EXPO Sponsors: Body Masters, BSN, Bulk Nutrition, Gamma-O, Iron-Tek, ISS Research, Labrada Nutrition, MRI, MRM, NxCare, Optimum Nutrition, Prolab, SAN, SciVation, STS, Triarco Industries, Ultimate Burn Machine, Universal Nutrition.
Arnold Sports Festival Local Sponsors: Blitz/WBZX, Columbus Dispatch Weekender, glaceau/vitaminwater, Huntington Banks, Lifestyle Communities, McDonald's, Raisin Rack, Real Fighter, Ricart, Time Warner, WBNS 10 TV.