One Leg Barbell Squat Images
- Start by standing about 2 to 3 feet in front of a flat bench with your back facing the bench. Have a barbell in front of you on the floor. Tip: Your feet should be shoulder width apart from each other.
- Bend the knees and use a pronated grip with your hands being wider than shoulder width apart from each other to lift the barbell up until you can rest it on your chest.
- Then lift the barbell over your head and rest it on the base of your neck. Move one foot back so that your toe is resting on the flat bench. Your other foot should be stationary in front of you. Keep your head up at all times as looking down will get you off balance and also maintain a straight back. Tip: Make sure your back is straight and chest is out while performing this exercise.
- As you inhale, slowly lower your leg until your thigh is parallel to the floor. At this point, your knee should be over your toes. Your chest should be directly above the middle of your thigh.
- Leading with the chest and hips and contracting the quadriceps, elevate your leg back to the starting position as you exhale.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- Switch legs and repeat the movement.
Variations: You can use a step up box to place your toes on to perform this exercise. You can even elevate the step up box. Note: the higher the step up box, the more difficult it is to perform this exercise.
Caution: Keeping your balance with this exercise can be challenging. This is an advanced exercise and should not be performed unless you are an experienced weight lifter.