- Connect a standard handle to a tower. Move cable to highest pulley position.
- Stand with side to cable. With one hand, reach up and grab handle with underhand grip.
- Pull down cable until elbow touches your side and the handle is by your shoulder.
- Position feet hip-width apart. Place free hand on hip to help gauge pivot point.
- Keep arm in static position. Contract oblique to bring the weight down in a side crunch.
- Once you reach maximum contraction, slowly release the weight to the starting position. The weight stack should never be unloaded in a resting position. The aim is constant tension during the set.
- Repeat to failure.
- Then, reposition and repeat the same series of movements on the opposite side.
Tip: Keep your arm tucked in tight to your side; donâ€™t move it. This technique will ensure the weight is isolated directly to the obliques and not your biceps or shoulder.