The only way to get perfect legs is to work them regularly. I do two leg workouts each week: one heavy workout early in the week and this plyometric leg workout a few days later. Make sure to leave a day or two of rest in between, because you'll need it!
My plyometric workout comprises three supersets. Each combines a weighted exercise with a bodyweight exercise. The plyometric workout uses high reps because it's the lighter of the two leg days.
This session is less about how much weight I can lift and more about focusing on form and functional, athletic movements.
I never time my rest periods. I judge how I feel depending on the day and adjust accordingly. If you prefer to watch the clock, rest for 30-90 seconds between supersets. Remember, by definition there's no rest between the two exercises in a superset.
- 2,500+ expert-created single workouts
- 3,500+ how-to exercise videos
- Detailed workout instruction
- Step-by-step workout tips
- Training at gym or at home
Already have a Bodybuilding.com account with BodyFit Plus? Sign In
- Front squat: Make sure your elbows are up high. I like to go a little bit below parallel so that I incorporate my glutes and hamstrings since front squats are known to focus on your quads.
- Box jump: Beginners, start with a 20-inch box. Advanced, use a 24-inch or higher box.
- Reverse lunge: I like to use the first set as my tester set to determine the weight. This tells me if I need to go higher or lower for the next sets.
- Plyometric lunge: You want to keep your heart rate high, but you don't want to push yourself too hard. Keep your level of performance up!
- Step-ups: Find a box or a bench that causes your knee to form a 90-degree angle when you stop on it.
- Squat jump: Get low and explode! This is a great cardiovascular exercise.
Karina Baymiller's Heavy Legs Workout
I start the week by smashing my lower body with this simple, straightforward, heavy legs workout. I'll complete this workout and rest for a few days before jumping into the plyometric workout above. The two workouts combined give my legs everything they need!