- Name: Fred Scalese
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age: 40
- Where: Willoughby, OH
- Height: 5' 10"
- Weight: 190 lbs
- Years Bodybuilding :24
- Favorite Bodypart: Legs, Abs
- Favorite Exercise: Bench Press
- Favorite Supplements: Nitric Oxide, Optimum Whey
How Did You Get Started?
My brother was working out when I was 16 in our family's basement and I started watching him and eventually stated working out with him. About 10 months later I entered my first body building competition against men (no teen division existed then) and I was hooked from then on.
I began training my son in the last 5 years and he competed with me in the NPC Natural Ohio show in 2004 (in the teenage division). I am now training my son and he is working out and preparing for his eventual deployment to Iraq which is expected by June, 2009.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
My workouts vary depending upon the time of year and my goals for the period. For example, I just competed (Oct, 2008) in the NPC Northern USA's and my workouts as I prepared for that show in the final 8 weeks were far different from my current mass and strength building phase I am currently in. My mass/strength phase will run through January 31, 2009 after which I will begin prepare for a bodybuilding show in April.
My current Mass/Strength Training Program looks like this: after a thorough warm up of light weight movements:
- Incline Barbell or Dumbbell Press 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
- Decline Barbell or Dumbbell Press 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
- Flat Bench Dumbbell Press 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
- Dumbbell or Cable Fly 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4 reps
- Dumbbell Pullover 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps Traps:
- Heavy Barbell or Dumbbell Shrugs 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 reps
- Horizontal Row Machine 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4 reps Abs:
- Decline weighted sit-ups 4 sets of 30 reps
- Russian Twist 3 sets of 20 reps w/ weight
- Hanging Leg Raise 3 sets of 20 reps w/ weight
- 15 minute if light cardio
(I add a few sets of heavy additional trap work here)
The rest of the week is similar.
- Tuesday focuses on Back with a few extra sets for biceps.
- Wednesday focuses on Legs and ONLY legs. This is a major/heavy workout and nothing else can be done that day.
- Thursday focuses on Shoulders and Triceps.
- Friday is an off day.
- Saturday is Dead-lift and Biceps.
- Sunday is "played by ear" based upon family obligations but typically I would do light cardio, abs and extra calves (they always need extra work).
I vary the selected exercises each week but the rep range remains the same throughout the mass/strength phase with the ultimate goal of gaining the most strength and mass that I can in the next five months.
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
In the current mass/strength gain phase, my meals generally consist of the following:
- 1 cup of oats upon waking
- Small salad (olive oil and vinegar)
- 8 oz chicken breast
5:00 PM Workout
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
Bodybuilding is my escape from the rest of the world. In my gym, I control everything that occurs and I am directly responsible for the results that I gain (or do not gain) based upon my own personal effort, consistency and dedication. There is no one to blame (or praise) but myself.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I won second place in the 40 - 49 Year Old Division of the NPC Northern USA show in October of 2008. I intend to compete again in April, 2004 in the NPC Natural Ohio show and WIN this time around!
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
The one tip I can offer to anyone that is considering the sport of bodybuilding or that is half-heartedly in it already….there is no magic pill. There is no magic exercise. Bodybuilding success comes from one place... your heart. The only things you must bring the table are: discipline, consistency and the right attitude. If you manage your bodybuilding lifestyle with those three elements in mind at all times... success will be yours.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
I generally prefer the "old school" bodybuilders and Arnold is the KING in that department. But I also admire Shawn Ray, Flex Wheeler. As far as today's bodybuilders, I admire the intensity of Branch Warren.