- Name: Aaron Herrgesell
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age: 46
- Where: Gooding, Idaho
- Height: 5'7"
- Weight: 155 lbs Contest 160 Lbs Off
- Years Bodybuilding :3
- Favorite Bodypart: Chest
- Favorite Exercise: Incline Dumbbell Press
- Favorite Supplements: 4EverFit Glutamine, Optimum Nutrition BCAA's, Protein Powder
How Did You Get Started?
As a young man, I always admired the bodybuilder's physique and wanted to be big! I started seriously trying to build more muscle three years ago after my wife of 18 years left me and an ugly divorced ensued. I needed to gain some self confidence back and find out who I really was. So, I wandered into Gold's Gym and got a membership, and my love of the sport grew from that day forward. As my body began to transform and grow stronger, so did my mind and emotional well-being.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I tend to work a single body part per day and do HIIT cardio 4 times per week
Day 1: Chest
- Incline Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Cable Crossover: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Pec Deck: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Dips: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Push-ups: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Crunches: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 2: Legs
- Squats: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Standing Leg Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Hack Squats: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Dumbbell Lunges: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 3: Back
- Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Straight Arm Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Bent Over Dumbbell Row: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Close Grip Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 4: Biceps/Triceps
- Standing Straight Bar Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Incline Bicep Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Machine Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Concentration Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Hammer Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Crunches: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Triceps Rope Pushdown: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Overhead Cable Triceps Extensions: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Skull Crushers: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Reverse Single Arm Pushdowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 5: Shoulders
- Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Bent Over Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Front Arm Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 6: Potpourri
- Romanian Deadlifts: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Shrugs: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Back Extensions: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Day 7: Off
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I try to keep it simple, but here is a typical pre-contest diet plan. My number one rule is no dairy!
Meal 1: 5:30 AM
Meal 2: 6:30 AM
Meal 3: 8:00 AM
Meal 4: 10:00 AM
Meal 5: 12:30 PM
Meal 6: 3:30 PM
Meal 7: 5:30 PM
Meal 8: 7:30 PM
Meal 9: 9:30 PM
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Because I have limited finances, I try to keep supplementation to a minimum. I have tried many things, but the mainstays for me are BCAAs, glutamine, beta alanine, and a high quality protein powder. I like Sci Fit and Dymatize because they are both free of artificial sweeteners. During low carb times, I need a pick me up before the gym, so I will use a pre-workout supplement like VPX's NO Shotgun or BSN's Nitrix.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I love bodybuilding because the confidence and sense of well being I gain from it are like a consuming fire! I feel and look years younger, and I just dig it. Additionally, I am an NASM certified personal trainer and enjoy seeing my clients reach their fitness goals through diet and exercise. Staying fit and learning more about the sport helps me be a better trainer and competitor. It may sound cliché, but this sport has given me a new lease on life.
I feel empowered and better able to complete the tasks of daily life more effectively, and to better serve and love those around me. I also met my beautiful wife of one year at the gym and we both have a passion for working out. She is also a competitor, so doing figure/bodybuilding shows is something we can enjoy together. This eases the strain that competing can put on a relationship since we are both gym freaks!
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
The body is an amazing machine and very pleasing to the eye, so to have the discipline and desire to forge one's body into a walking sculpture is impressive, fun, and challenging. Plus, getting into the kind of shape that most people only dream about has changed my life in so many ways. My energy level has gone up, my sex life with my wife is amazing, and my ability to handle the stresses of daily living has improved considerably.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
To me, it's like a locomotive picking up steam. Once you start to see positive gains, you begin to work harder to see even more gains. It's very alluring and even addicting.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
At my first bodybuilding show, I saw a Grand Masters bodybuilder in his 70's that looked incredible. It inspired me to keep training and competing for as long as I can. This has become not just a hobby for me but a lifestyle.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
I would say not to take the sport too seriously and to enjoy the journey more than the trophies you win. You only get one life, so set the example of kindness toward others because people will remember you more for that than for how big your biceps are. Competing is not an easy chore, but it is very worthwhile and rewarding if you keep it all in perspective. We train our bodies to makes us better individuals and to become the people God intended us to be. We were not created to sit on the sofa eating chips and watching NASCAR (although that is fun too). If you rest, you rust.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
My all-time favorite is of course, Arnold, the Austrian Oak. However, I am also inspired by Flex Wheeler, Frank Zane, and many others who I have met at various competitions over the past three years whose names will probably never appear in a muscle and fitness magazine. Everyone who competes for a length of time in this sport is a winner and has an inspiring story to tell.
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
My wife and I use the SuperSite for more info on supplements, for training and diet articles, and for staying up to date on the latest contests and results. We also buy all our supplements from your on-line store as you have the largest variety and the best prices--hands down!
These amazing teenagers have made changes in their lives that most adults only dream about!
Age is no excuse for these over 40 men & women who have decided to feel and look young again!
|Share This Article: