- Name: Paul Knight
- E-mail: Hardcorebdybldng@aol.com
- Age: 19
- Where: Forked River, New Jersey
- Height: 5' 7"
- Weight: 185 Lbs., Contest: 150 Lbs.
- Years Bodybuilding :5
- Favorite Bodypart: Back And Triceps
- Favorite Exercise: Inlcine Smith Press
- Favorite Supplements: Whey Protein, Multi-Vitamin & Glutamine.
How Did You Get Started?
My older brother would take me to the gym on occasion when I was 10 and 11 years old. That's how this all started. By the age of 12 I started working out seriously. I would buy all the muscle magazines and read front to back. I learned a lot from the articles. I became hooked into being in the gym.
Parents were so supportive at that time by taking me back and forth to the gym. Being in the gym at a young age kept me out of trouble. I was so into bodybuilding and the whole scene that when I was 14 years old, I did my first bodybuilding show. It was a great experience and it motivated me more into competitive bodybuilding.
I have been fortunate to have people that are very supportive and motivating helping me do the best I can do. Being involved in bodybuilding has taught me how to conduct myself in other areas of my life. Teaching me discipline, patience, and dedication, helped me with relationships, jobs, and education. In total I have competed in 8 bodybuilding shows. Most recent was the 2006 Teenage Nationals where I won my lightweight class. It was the greatest moment in my life especially coming back from a second place finish the year before at the 2005 Teenage Nationals. As long as you do everything possible to win, you really never lose, no matter what placing you get.
- 2006 Teenage Nationals - 1st place Light wt.
- 2006 Garden States - 2nd place Teen division
- 2005 Teenage Nationals - 2nd place Light wt.
- 2004 NY Empire State - 3rd Men's Light wt., 1st Teen division
- 2003 NJ/Suburban Championships - 3rd Men's Bantam wt., 2nd Teen division
- 2002 South Jersey Championships - 2 Men's Bantam wt., 3rd Teens
- 2002 Physique - 5th Men's Bantam wt., 5th Teens
- 2002 NJ/Suburban Championships - 2nd Men's Bantam wt., 1st Teens
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I train each body part at least once a week. If I have a lacking body part than I might train that muscle twice a week. For putting on size, I stick with a lot of the basic exercises. For the set and rep range, it varies for each exercise and muscle group but for the most part I like the 3 set range and the 6 to 12 rep range. Here's a sample of some the exercises for each body part I would do.
Sample Training Exercises:
21's Dumbbell Shrugs (7 reps behind your body, 7 on the side, and 7 in the front)
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
While preparing for a contest I stick to what works for me. I keep it simple with the selection and the serving sizes. Here's a pre-contest diet sample.
Sample Meal Plan:
1 Cup of Oatmeal with water
5 Meals of 8-10 oz. of Chicken and a 10-12 oz. Baked Potato
While trying to put on size in the off season I don't go on a off season diet plan. I eat when I'm hungry. I eat a selection of these foods:
Sweets and Pastries
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
I take a Multi-Vitamin daily. I like glutamine for my digestive system and recovery. I liked taking Prolab's N-Large 2. Tasted good and gave a load of carbohydrates and proteins to help put on the weight.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I often get this question asked when I'm carb depleted looking like I haven't slept in days. People come up to me and see just so many sacrifices, time, and energy put into this and ask, "Why do you love doing this!?" The answer is right then and there. I love this because not everybody can do what we do. Not everybody can look at food and turn their temptations off just for that extra striation. When you step onstage, all the pain and hunger goes away. You are just all smiles and feeling like a million bucks!
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
At this time I am taking off for a year or two. I need time off to grow and fill out lacking areas. Now that I am not competing as a teenager, I am going to have to step it up to compete among others. My ultimate goal is to get my pro card. I am realistic and realize that this could take many years to obtain. The biggest goal that I had was to win my weight class at the Teenage Nationals and now that I accomplished that, I have all the time to decide on what show is next. I will not compete until I feel I am ready to compete with the rest.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
No matter what happens... injuries, low placing's, life obstacles... if your heart is into it, never give up on it! Everybody loses and everybody wins. Quitting is something nobody should do.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
- Jay Cutler due to his success with marketing himself as a bodybuilder.
- Ronnie Coleman because of his sheer size and strength.
- I am really impressed with a new pro from Germany, Dennis Wolf. He has awesome shoulders and a small waist. Has the great "X" factor. Wide shoulders, small waist, and huge legs. Should do well if the judges go for a overall package.