- Name: Fred Ells
- E-mail: None
- Age: 18
- Where: Deep River, ON
- Height: 6'
- Weight: 200 Lbs Off 175 Lbs Contest
- Years Bodybuilding :4
- Favorite Bodypart: Lats
- Favorite Exercise: Machine Preacher Curl
- Favorite Supplements: BSN NO-Xplode, ON 100% Whey
How Did You Get Started?
In grade 9 all I wanted was to play football but I didn't make the team. Even though I was cut I hadn't lost hope, so I started weightlifting and agility training right away. The next year I was much bigger and stronger and made the team. From then on I was hooked on the results you get from bodybuilding.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
The following split has worked best for me. Each set is performed to failure followed by a couple forced reps. 1 warm-up set is performed prior to each exercise.
I normally do four sets of each exercise and aim for the following rep ranges: 8-10, then 6-8, 4-6, 4-6.
|TERMS YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW|
Day 1: Shoulders/Traps
- Barbell Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Arnold Press: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Cable Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Bent-Over Seated Shoulder Raises: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Barbell Or Dumbbell Shrugs: 4 sets to failure
Day 2: Legs
- Deadlift: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Hamstring Curls: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Squats: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Calf Raises: 4 sets to failure
Day 3: Chest/Triceps
- Bench Press: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Incline Bench Press: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Weighted Dips: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Cable Crossovers: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Overhead Rope Extensions: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
Day 4: Back/Biceps
- Bent Over Rows: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Dumbbell Rows: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Straight Arm Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Machine Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
- Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6, 6 reps
Day 5: Off
This split is very extreme; leg day often has me going to bed around 11:00 in a state of pure exhaustion. The exercises and rep range may seem boring, but it is geared for results and has never let me down.
Going into competition I do 1 hour of very low intensity cardio in the morning before my first meal and core every second workout. I also increase my volume slightly to avoid injury and speed up muscle recovery.
I normally try to do dumbbells instead of barbells every third workout for chest.
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
Lean mass building meal plan:
Meal 1: 8 AM
Meal 2: 10 AM
Meal 3: 11:30 AM
Meal 4: 12:30 PM
Meal 5: 2:00 PM Post Workout
Meal 6: 2:30 PM
Meal 7: 4:30 PM
Meal 8: 6:30 PM
- 150g portion of chicken
Meal 9: 8:30 PM
Meal 10: 10:30 PM
- 1 scoop casein protein
This is the goal when I wake up in the morning but obviously sometimes things don't work out perfectly. And of course I cheat sometimes and have some ice cream or go out partying; everything in moderation.
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Tough to say. Pre-workout supplements really motivate me when I'm low energy and need to push out a good workout. Whey protein and glutamine powders probably have helped significantly with muscle growth and recovery. However, I have definitely noticed the biggest gains when I step up my diet and consistently eat healthy. Now I know that's not what anyone wants to hear but it's true; there isn't any secret sauce only effort and commitment.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I love gripping heavy weights, pushing myself to new limits, and feeling my muscles tear. I like seeing hard earned results and knowing that putting in my time is finally paying off.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
When you see someone you haven't seen in a long time and they look at you and say, holy s*** you look big. That's what does it for me.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I want to bulk up to a lean 200 lbs and then begin competing again. I just competed and came second in the novice heavyweight in the IDFA. Now that I qualified I want to compete in the open division and eventually win my pro card.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Commitment is everything. Put in your time and results will come. If you're plateauing don't give up, you just need to get re-inspired and work even harder.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
My all time favorite bodybuilder is Lee Priest. I love his style and badass look.
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?