Cooking With Derek: Power Muffins & Killer Omelettes!
Cooking with Derek? Now that is something I never thought I'd read. But as a bodybuilder, cooking plays an integral part of my life. Nutrition is the most important aspect of bodybuilding.
During my first three years of bodybuilding, I ate bland food. I had no cooking skills except for simple meals. As I've progressed in bodybuilding, so has my cooking. I am at the point now where I have actual recipes. In this article, I will share with you my latest creation. This simple muffin makes an excellent addition to any diet.
- 3 Bananas
- 1 Cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- 4 Egg Whites
- 2 Cups Oatmeal
- 1 1/2 Cup Oat Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- Tsp Baking Soda
- Cinnamon (dash)
- Vanilla (dash)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Put 2 1/2" muffin tins in muffin pans. Makes 24 2 ?" muffins.
- Put the three bananas, 1 cup cottage cheese, 4 egg whites, 1 tsp baking powder, ? tsp baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix these ingredients until they are blended.
- Mix in the 2 cups oatmeal and 1 1/2 cups oat flour. Stir all the ingredients until blended. The consistency of the batter should be gooey. It should not be too dry or too runny.
- Put about 2 TBSPs of the mix in each muffin tin.
- Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the muffins are not gooey inside. The test if the muffins are done, poke on in the middle with a toothpick. If the toothpick is dry, they are done.
As you can see, these muffins lack protein. I discovered a delicious way to add some protein to these muffins by using protein powder. I use AST's vanilla VP2. Here is what you do:
- Put 4 scoops of VP2 in a bowl.
- Add 4 packets of splenda for extra sweetness. This really makes it taste like frosting.
- Add 3 TBSP of water to the protein powder. This should make it nice and gooey. If it is still dry, add a little water. If you add too much water, the frosting will be too runny.
- Finally, simply spread the "frosting" over the tops of the muffins. You have now added 4 grams of protein, and plenty of taste, to each of the 24 muffins.
Another option available to add protein to these muffins is Optimum Nutrition's new Any Whey Protein. This tasteless protein is designed for cooking. Simply add the desired amount of protein to the mix before baking.
- Raisins - Add some sweetness and carbs.
- Walnuts - A good way to get some extra omega 3's.
- Orange Peel - Adds a lot of flavor without a lot of calories.
These muffins are delicious! If you make a large batch, you can freeze what you will not eat in a couple days in the freezer. These muffins are perfect for between classes or on the go. Their nutritional profile makes them a good choice for any meal. And to top it all off, they are delicious. The only problem is not eating them all at once.
Serving Size (1 muffin)
Power Muffins PDF (113 KB)
I received an email the other day from someone looking for a way to liven up eggs, specifically egg whites. I myself could eat dozens of eggs, with the yolk, a day because I enjoy the taste. But that would not be practical or healthy. When you take the yokes out, leaving just the egg white, some of that delicious taste is removed. While preparing for my contest, I ate egg whites everyday for breakfast. While they do not taste bad, I agree with the person who sent the email, it does get boring. But have no fear, I recently created the best omelette I have ever tasted in my life. These Omelets are killer!
- 6 egg whites
- small onion
- green pepper
- Chop up onion into small pieces.
- Cut green pepper into thin strips.
- Spray pan with no-stick, non-fat olive oil spray.
- Set flame to medium. Toss the onions and green peppers in and brown them.
- Once the vegetables are browned, put them on a plate.
- Pour your eggs into the already hot pan.
- After the initial sizzle, turn the flame down some and cover the pan. This will allow the eggs to
- Cook all the way through so you can flip it.
- Once the eggs are no longer runny, flip the omelette. After the omelette is flipped, let it cook for a minute.
- Put the vegetables on one half of the omelette. If you are going to add cheese and/or ketchup, put them over the vegetables.
- Fold the other side of the omelette over the vegetables, turn the flame off, and cover so the cheese can melt.
- Salt as desired and EAT!!!
Killer Omelets PDF (112 KB)
I'd like to point out that I try to make the healthiest recipes possible. I could easily make the best tasting, saturated fat loaded, sugar filled dishes ever, but anyone can do that. I am also trying to lay out dishes that someone without any cooking experience can make. When I started preparing my own food, I had no idea what I was doing. For example, my chicken was always dry, bland, and tasteless.
But as time went on, I gradually learned how to spice things up. I am just trying to make the process of learning how to make edible food a little less painful. I also try to make meals that can be eaten all the time, not just as a special treat. There is nothing wrong with including this omelette in a contest preparation diet. I sure wish I would have.
- Follow This Discussion by:
Reflex Nutrition Instant Mass PRO Is A Near Perfect Balance Of Protein And Carbohydrates! Get the Lowest Prices on Instant Mass PRO at Bodybuilding.com!