Name: Taylor Burford
Weight: 178 lbs
Body Fat: 17%
Weight: 183 lbs
Body Fat: 6%
Why I Got Started
I started lifting weights during my senior year in high school to improve my overall strength for baseball. During this time I noticed small changes in the way my body looked, even with the lousy diet I had.
The first summer after I graduated high school, I got a gym membership at a local gym and continued lifting weights. It was during this time that I became more conscious of dieting properly and having a proper workout regimen.
I started a regular diet and workout routine in August of 2005. I weighed about 178 lbs and my body fat was around 17%. I started going to the gym seven days per week. I would lift five days per week, and play basketball twice a week for my cardio.
I was also doing a lot of long distance running. I lost a lot of body fat during this time, but I wasn't very muscular. I started reading magazines and books about nutrition and weight training with the idea of adding muscle mass.
I used a sample routine from a magazine I read to get me started. As my body composition changed, I got more and more interested in bodybuilding. I shifted my attention from magazines to books with facts and studies about building muscle. I then created a workout plan that was fit for me, and designed my own diet.
I got up to 206 pounds while bulking up. In January of this year I decided to lean out for the summer time. I also heard about a local natural bodybuilding competition around this time, and decided to give it a try.
When I am leaning out, I choose whole foods over supplements when I can. I would rather eat my calories than drink them. I will use Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex and 100% Casein Protein. I will also drink several SciVation Xtend BCAA shakes throughout the day. I use Nutrex Lipo 6 to aid in cutting fat. I also drink about 1.5 gallons of water a day.
When I bulk up I like to use several supplements including:
- Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein
- MuscleTech Cell-Tech Hardcore Creatine
- BSN NO-Xplode
- Cytosport Cyto Gainer
- MRI NO2
- AST Multivitamin
- SciVation Xtend
- 10 Egg whites
- 1.25 cups cooked oatmeal
- 2 cups of coffee
- 6 oz chicken breast
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 cup broccoli
Meal #3 (pre workout)
- 4 oz 96/4 lean ground beef
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 small apple
Meal #4(post workout)
- 3.5 oz chicken breast
- 1 scoop ON 100% Whey
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 scoop Gatorade powder
Meal # 5
- 6 oz chicken breast
- 1.5 cups green beans
- 3.5 oz chicken breast
- 1 scoop ON Pro Complex
- 3 oz celery
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
I love grilled chicken breast.
Monday: Back, Calves
- Wide grip pull downs- wmp, 12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps + drop set.
- Bent Barbell row-15 reps, 12 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps
- One arm row- 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps + drop set.
- Rack pulls- 8 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps
- Low cable row-12 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps
Tuesday: Legs, Abs
- Barbell Squat (past parallel)- 2 wmp, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps, 4 reps + drop set.
- Leg press- 15 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps
- Hack squat - 3 sets of 10 reps non-lockout rep style
- Barbell lunges-3 sets along basketball court
- Leg extensions- 3 sets 15
- Single leg curls- 3 sets 12
- Barbell Incline press- 2wmp, 12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps + drop set.
- Incline dumbbell press- 10 reps, 8 reps, 8 reps
- Decline Press- 6 reps, 10 reps, 15 reps
- Flat dumbbell fly-3 sets 12 reps
- Pec deck- 3 sets 12 reps
Thursday: Cardio, Calves
Friday: Biceps, Triceps, Forearms
- Ez bar curl-2 wmp, 12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps+ drop set.
- Close grip bench press- 2 wmp, 12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps + drop set.
- Incline dumbbell curl-12 reps, 10 reps, 10 reps
Super set with skull crushers-12reps, 10 reps, 10 reps
- Dumbbell hammer curl-3 sets 10 reps
Superset with cable pushdowns 3X10 reps
- Reverse curls- 3 sets 15 reps
- Forearm curls- 4 sets 15 reps
Saturday: Shoulders, Traps, Abs
- Dumbbell military press- 2 wmps, 12 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps + drop set.
- Side lateral dumbbell raise- 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps + drop set + drop set
- side cable raise- 3 sets 10 reps
- Reverse pec deck- 3 sets 15 reps
- Bent-over lateral raise- 3 sets 10 reps
- Barbell shrug- 15 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps, 6 reps
- Incline lying dumbbell shrug- 3 sets 12 reps.
Suggestions For Others
Set a personal goal, put your head down and work till you achieve it. Plan ahead with everything including diet, training, work and schoolwork. A training partner with the same interests helps tremendously and can keep you on track. Don't be afraid to take a chance and fail. Avoid pessimistic individuals who try to downgrade your ambitions. Have fun and make the best "YOU" possible.