Before (Christmas 2001):
Weight: 185+ lbs
Pant size: 16
Weight: 140 lbs
BF%: between 22-27 (depending on machine and gym)
Pant size: 7/9 (depending on brand)
Why I Got Started
I have been heavy all my life but was under an illusion for a long time that I just had a "big butt" and a big chest (had to say goodbye to them double D's). I got my family Christmas photos back from my father in 2001 and was just devastated to see how horrible I looked and at this point my size 16's were getting tight.
I had never really dieted except once I lost 5 pounds using Chromium and starving myself. I knew nothing about nutrition ... I didn't even know I was unhealthy! I remember once eating pasta drowned in butter and thinking that it was diet food because I didn't have meat sauce!
How I Did It
In October 2001 I started working for The Vitamin Shoppe, whom I still work for now. That same fall I started doing what has become the most important thing in my life, Tribal Style Belly dance. It helped to me be in touch with my body and forged the mind/body/spirit connection.
Take a look-see: http://people.tribe.net/shivati
I dropped soda and immediately lost 5 pounds. For the first two months all I did was dance, and lost 20 pounds. By Feb. 20th, 2002 I joined a gym called Tom's River Fitness in NJ and started running. Eventually I lost 60 pounds eating low carb and dropped 12% bf over the next year. Now I continue to perform and teach and am trying to get rid of the excess bits of fat, firm up my skin and gain muscle mass.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid 300mg/day
- Chromium Polynicotinate 200-400mcg/day
- Labrada EFA Lean Gold
- L-Carnitine 1000mg/day
- Muscle Milk RTD's and powder
Sample Week Of Diet
During My Initial Weight Loss:
- 3 eggs/ salsa
- Atkins Shake
- Salad/ balsamic vinegrette/ 1/2 cup cottage cheese/ 2 pieces bacon crumbled/ 1 tsp parm. cheese
- Cheese/ nuts
- Chicken/ broccoli
- Low carb protein bar or shake
- Oatmeal w/ protein powder/ apple
- (if at work) South Beach Diet or Lean Cuisine meal
- (Pre-W) 1/2 chicken sandwich w/ avocado/ 1 slice cheese
- (Post-W) shake or bar
- Chicken/ brown rice/ tomato w/ flax & olive oil/ salt & pepper
- Stallone protein pudding or Vitamin Shoppe pudding
- 3 WHOLE eggs (lecithin is a fat emulsifier people, don't give into the egg yoke hipe!)/ 1/2 grapefruit/ 1 pack Splenda
- Lean turkey burger/ yam/ flax & olive oil
- 1 string cheese/ ostrich stick
- Shake or bar
- Chicken/ asparagus
- 100 cal. bag of popcorn
Not for these meals here but I end up about:
- 1400-1600 calories/ day
- 100-140g carbs/ day
- 120-140g protein/ day
Sample Week Of Training
Initially I did push/pull and ran 9-12 miles per week for 6 months. That didn't last too long as I had broken my left foot some time ago. Every week I practice belly dancing at least twice and for 24 weeks per year I teach. I also teach at least 1 hour-long private lesson a week as well.
I'm currently using a program described here on BB.com after hitting a plateau. I was doing push/pull for 6 months, then for 3 months I did:
Now I Do:
- Monday: Shoulders/Bi's 20min cardio
- Tuesday: Chest/Back/Bi's 20min cardio
- Wednesday: 30m. Cardio/Legs/Abs
- Thursday: same as Mon.
- Friday: same as Tues.
- Saturday: 30m cardio
- Sunday: off
*(note: I alternate every other week is squats/de-cline press and hack squat ... then the next leg day is all machines, press/ inner/outer thigh/ extensions etc. This is so I can walk the next day since the cardio almost never stops and besides I teach and perform dance, with a once broken foot and mild scoliosis ... gotta love that).
My Favorite Workout Is:
- Triple Drop sets tricep push-down with rope - 70/ 50/ 30 then 60/40/20 lbs
- Supersetted with Triple Drop set bicep curls on the same machine - 60/50/40 then 50/40/30 lbs
Suggestions For Others
I write everything down, my workouts and everything I eat, with all their macros (cal/ carbs etc.) ... Work hard and focus. Believe in yourself and find peace with your higher power/God. That is a winning combination and with confidence you can achieve anything you set yourself to.